Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading questions...

Default Upgrading questions...

I have an older 1:1 Alpha... I know that the ASM911 swap to the ASM98AA-T7.2 is the standard upgrade path... I'm wondering what other options are out there. For example:
    1) My 12" Z and A axis came with ASM98AA-T10 steppers, as is my B axis. If I went with them on the X and Y also... all my motors and drivers would be the same... one backup in reserve would serve any axis. I know that I would lose some top jogging speed but would not care if everything else was happy.

2) Are there still no off the shelf gearboxes available that fit the ASM911 Stepper? Belt drive reduction looks simple enough... just more than I want to construct by myself right now. Is anyone happy with their belt reduction units?

3) There are some ASD16AC / ASM98AC T7.2 motor & drive combos available on EBay reasonably. These are 220V units. The input says N---220. Will the residential version of 220 (-110 --- +110) work?

Thanks!

SG

It is highly unlikely that you would have a motor failure with these drive systems. So the idea of interchangability shouldn't even factor in the decision process. Going 1/2 way around the world to save a few bucks on a motor of unknown quantity makes no sense to me...Not when list is $399 for the motor retail.

Belt reduction is the path of least resistance. You would have more torque than a 7.2 gearbox variant, and a tad more resolution.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I guess that's the final word then... I had hoped for a little more input.
    Brady, thanks for yours. Your two statements... "It is highly unlikely that you would have a motor failure with these drive systems" And "a motor of unknown quantity" seem self contradictory.

I guess the desire for interchangeability is brought on by a "tick...tick,tick...tick" sound in my z axis during long jogs up or down, like when Z zeroing after a bit change.

$399.00 isn't so bad... but multiplied times 3 and add 3 drivers at $600.00 - $900.00 (new) each, makes for a fair investment and the used market attractive! All this for a machine that really is working well. I am just wanting a little better resolution when doing some of the logos and personalization I do... a very small part of my business. Speaking of business... As I slide ungracefully into retirement, my bot is going from workhorse to pet! This is why I had hoped to keep the upgrade price under $1000.00. I can do this with used equipment or likely with some belt drive cobbling...

SG

I had the original 1:1 motors on my PRT-Alpha and then built a series of 3:1 belt-drives. Chatter was reduced significantly. Later on, I bought the 7.2 motors/drives that were offered in an upgrade kit. There was no noticeable improvement in cut quality over the 3:1 belt-drive.

I would suggest that you try a belt-drive system on the X and Y axes.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    "It is highly unlikely that you would have a motor failure with these drive systems" ...And a motor of unknown quantity" seem self contradictory.
    It does sound that way, until you factor in the part about them being from 1/2 way around the world...Is the pigtail connector cut from the motor? Is the shaft all galled up? Does the motor look like it was laying at the bottom of a lake? There are other attributes to a motor than it's electrical ones...

The tick-tick is normal backlash in the gearbox - unless your Z rack gear lash is not set correctly.

Early on, some PRs came with belt reduction boxes on them standard from ShopBot. Mike was the first to put them on an Alpha and report his findings to the group. It seems like the best solution - and it should cost you no more than $600 to do all 3 axes, maybe 4.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Anybody making the parts for the gear reduction? When I have some down time I would like to make some for my bot.

Bruce

parts for the gear reduction?
    Did you mean belt reduction?

SG

Brady

Thank you for pointing out what should have been obvious to me! Free shipping from Korea isn't free if the product has been abused. It's the proverbial "pig-in-a-poke". I've had nothing but success buying from other botters here on the forum... Ebay-ers in Korea may not have the same standards!

I'm investigating belt-drive methods.

SG

Not to interject but i found these some time ago and have bought some products off the guy. Fast shipping and reliable as far as my experience goes.
    He's got gear boxes for motors here...

http://www.kelinginc.net/CNCGEARBOX.html

Just food for thought.

Regards
    Randy
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

OK-I'm not a complete stepper motor expert but I was just directed to the following supplier for a couple transformers by my machine maintainence guru and the same product I needed was twice as much elsewhere.

They carry a lot of stuff for do-it yourself modification freaks!!

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Home/Home

For parts to build your own gearboxes Misumi cannot be beat for great service, quality, and fair pricing.
    Steve:

Drop me an e-mail regarding that route.