Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PRS Standard

Default PRS Standard

Hi guys,
    I just receive my SB Standard, and start to set him up ;o)

I would like to ask , how are you guys disconnecting the motors on PRS Standard control box. The cables came from the box pre-mounted for the motors, if you have to troubleshot the square of the table, obvious is a no go for moving the gantry with the motors hooked on the control box.

What are the steps what you are doing to disconnect the motors.

Cheers DAN

The motor cables disconnect from the motor side. It is not advised to disconnect them from the control box where they connect inside. When you wire it up, you'll run the spindle, spindle fan, proximity switches and Zzero plate TO the control box (and VFD) & You'll run the motor cables FROM the control box to the motors.

It certainly makes wiring more difficult than it should be, but it isn't too bad if you are neat and organized - which means you are adding to the reliability of your tool by making sure none of the wires get snagged etc. Be sure to keep the wiring neat and add zip ties to keep wires secured.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thank you very much for your fast answer ;o)

I was not very clear with my question , but you nailed right ;o)

Basically if later a problem will require to unplug the motors ...we need to cut the protection foil to unplug the motors. Or to troubleshot any problem with the gantry with the motors down from the track.

Please let me know how you deal with a problem like that ;o)

Cheers DAN

Quote Originally Posted by dan78 View Post
    ...we need to cut the protection foil to unplug the motors.
    Dan, I am assuming that you mean shrink tubing ? Then, yes...carefully cut it away, do what you need to do and re-shrink. If you wire things correctly and give yourself some extra slack where it is needed (like wrapping once around the Y motors to allow for pinion replacement & zip tie the wire to the motor) then there isn't much to really worry about. Worse case, you just unplug the motors.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Yes , you are right ;o) I was thinking to shrink tubing ;o)

Okay then , tomorrow I will connect the motors, and the control box, and give a run to hear how sounds ;o) maybe I can do even same dust ;o)

Just to double check , how are you felling the gantry when push with the motors engaged. Is moving relatively easy, not that easy for my wife ;o) , I can not fell any bumps is going pretty well all the way, but I just want to make sure is not to tight, I could read on other thread about problems if the motors are engaged to much.

Thanks again for you fast answers ;o)

Engage the motors as tightly as you can into the racks. Lift and rock the motor into mesh with the rack and tighten the screws down. 'Too tight' is for the older PRT models.

Try not to move the gantry or Y or Z around too much with the motors plugged into the box. The motors become generators and you can damage the motor drivers if you generate too much voltage by pushing by hand. If you MUST move it by hand, either drop the motors out of mesh with the racks or move very slowly.

-B

Okay , and again many thanks ;o) I will let you know how go later ;o)

Cheers DAN

Thanks for help Brady , including this

" Reverse the green & black wires in either end of the Wago connector on EACH X axis. Make sure control box is OFF. "

from a different thread ;o)

My PRS Standard is up now I will buy next week same cheap bits to see how I can do something ;o)

Okay ...I manage to have all done and start.

I start cutting with a very large rectangle to check the diagonals.

First try I have a error of 3mm, stop all, push up and down the gantry , connect again the motors , power , zero , and again a very large rectangle , x,y 30,30 the other corner x,y 2200,1150, and this time I have a 2 mm error on the diagonals.

How precise are you when you try to check the square of the table ?

Test on the 30, 40 inch until you have both diagonals exactly 50 ?

Are you happy with a error under 1/8 inch ? which would be close with 3mm ?

Dan

You should be able to get closer than you can measure by hand... There are some other items that can cause mis-cuts, #1 being bit deflection. I don't know what bit, speeds, depth of cut, or cutting strategies you used to know if this might be an issue.

Something some of us do is (me anyway) pull the gantry back against the stops while turning the machine on... This racks the gantry square and the steppers hold it that way. This method only works after some initial fooling around micro adjusting the stops.

Disclaimer... I have a PRT Alpha and am not familiar with the nuances of the PRS standard...

SG