Thread: Software QFE

Default Software QFE

Should I?

A) upgrade my artcam insignia 3.something to the latest version. I use KCD cabinet software and I use artcam to nest and toolpath everything. It works fine but I have the original (cabinet)version with some irritating bugs that are fixed in the latest version. I also understand that there are some new bells and whistles with the newest version.

B) buy Partworks if it has nesting capabilities?

If that's all you are using it for, (nesting/toolpathing), then I'd go with PartWorks, AKA VCarve Pro. If you use any of the other capabilities, like 3D, etc., then I'd consider either upgrading Insignia, or check out Vectric's Aspire software.
    Ron Sloan

Partworks has nesting, but not sure if it can be called directly from within KCD if you need that. I've only seen Enroute and insignia used within KCD.

If you can to continue to use current version of insignia with KCD, then I'd look at the cost of insignia update vs partworks for use external to KCD. You may be able to get partworks cheaper than the insignia upgrade.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Quote Originally Posted by sawkerf View Post
    Should I?

A) upgrade my artcam insignia 3.something to the latest version. I use KCD cabinet software and I use artcam to nest and toolpath everything. It works fine but I have the original (cabinet)version with some irritating bugs that are fixed in the latest version. I also understand that there are some new bells and whistles with the newest version.

B) buy Partworks if it has nesting capabilities?
    The thing you have to consider is how much time/effort will it take to learn a new program, considering what you are using now? I don't care how easy any new software is, at the end of the day it is not 2nd nature to you anymore and you have to learn all new stuff (and nuances) leaving yourself vulnerable to making costly mistakes. You should really think about this...and the TRUE cost of upgrading - hours away from your family (mentally/attention) learning or longer to get jobs done because you still have to learn new stuff etc.

I think that PartWorks and Link make a powerful combination, but it is a completely different interface and setup than what you are using now. Do you REALLY want to start all over again? These are the questions you should be answering.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Red face Sounds crazy but..

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    The thing you have to consider is how much time/effort will it take
    to learn a new program, considering what you are using now?

Do you REALLY want to start all over again?
    These are the questions you should be answering.
    We're still using Vector-9 from Yr.2000 because..
    it's bought and paid for
    does what we want
    we bin using it for 11+ yrs. now
    - it works.

I dread the day we are forced to use
    one of today's real-Graphic-y programs (quite unlike V-9 if anybody remembers it?)

You don't have to be half-crazy to do CNC
    but it sure helps...

Thanks for the info guys. I decided to go ahead with the Insignia upgrade. And after a 9 hour download I finally got it installed and now it's time to grill the steaks before my family and I starve. I did have time to notice that it is VERY different from my old version 4. One main difference is that there is no "cabinetmaker" tab to perform my KCD file import, toolpathing and export the completed toolpaths to a single folder. Could one of you more learned guys please help me figure this out? There's got to be a way to import the batch file and process it like before, surely they didn't eliminate the capability. I am very much looking forward to using the new features but this missing feature is my bread and butter. Thanks

Oh yeah, and thanks Brady. You made some great points about the learning curve and such. Those things should be considered very strongly.......unfortunately I read your post about a day too late I will remember that advice the NEXT time I'm tempted to upgrade. Thanks again.

Kip,
    I don't know anything about your program but i have heard of companies taking components out of programs and making them an add-on, translation=added expense

I got the answer I was looking for on the Artcam forum. It's there, it's just in a new spot, I kinda figured that would be it. Now I have new problem, when I get the batch calculation going using my long, established toolpath templates, it will not calculate the drilling toolpath. For some reason, it changes the drill depth from .375 to -.375 and tells me it can't calculate. I've checked the template and it is correctly set at .375 as always. The other toolpaths seem to be fine, however, I have not cut anything yet. I have a feeling it's got something to do with the model orientation but I can't figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks