Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I got my Ipad today!

Just over two years ago I decided to get Bob an iPad so he could put all his Keyboard music on it rather than take the 44 kgs of books in the motorhome. this was pre-Heime.

Opening the box he said "why the hell do I want this?". I was devastated as budgets were still tight with the after fire work we were still doing and burst into tears.

Since then he has upgraded to newer one and if you took it away, it would be worse than cutting off his arm or other appropriate parts of his body.

There are three MUST HAVE things in a guys life he tells me - iPad, Shopbot and Yahama keyboard - but he cant decided which is most important. So my question is "What about ME?"

I can give distance education in Ipads as well as excel if you need it.

Enjoy your new toy - Chrissy

Quote Originally Posted by dana_swift View Post
    Turn it upside down and shake it.. see if that does a screen clear operation!

Are you sure you did not get an IBox?

Dana it's not a I-cha-Sketch

Thanks Chrissy for the offer, i'll just need to figure out how to run "Facetime" and we'll hook up...but don't tell Bob!

I'm slowly figuring stuff out but it seems only after running for 10-15 minutes and it runs the battery down like 10% I don't seem to get more then a couple hours or more of off/on time...still figuring it out.

Jack

If you have an iPhone DONT use its charger on the iPad as its output is lower. Running say Tunein radio all day in the shop you should get 6 to 8 hours. The iPad is multi tasking and if you dont exit apps they remain running. To check this double click the "home button". This will bring up a row of app icons right across the bottom. Hold your finger down on the left most one until it starts "wiggling". The icons will all be wiggling at this point and have a red minus sign top left. Press on the minus sign of each in turn and they will disappear. Dont be alarmed if you have heaps as you have probably never exited anything ever!

Other culprits for high battery drain is GPS programs as these are running all the time. Any app with anything to do with knowing your location can also run 24/7. Tune in radio can be running in the background without you knowing. You can actually listen to it with the unit switched off. Same with all your MP3's. Turn off blue tooth in settings.

A good habit is to use the minus sign method as soon as you are finished with an app. The only problem with the iPad is you cant post piccies to the forum BUT it is fantastic for watching Vectric Tutorials right next to the bot. You could even get the Shopbot remote app then when you are watching your machine in the house as you have tea you can turn it off just by presing stop. A better method than having a 200 foot extension on your emergency button! Seriously I will be pinching your wireless video idea as soon as I can get permission from the "treasurer" to buy more gear. I want to rig ours up so that it rings the iPhone when we are away if some mongrel tries to steal the bot!

Bob

Cool iPad is 35% Apple-Religion hype!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eustace View Post
    The iPad is multi tasking and if you dont exit apps they remain running.
    To check this double click the "home button". This will bring up a row of app icons right across the bottom.
    Hold your finger down on the left most one until it starts "wiggling".
    The icons will all be wiggling at this point and have a red minus sign top left.
    Press on the minus sign of each in turn and they will disappear.
    Dont be alarmed if you have heaps as you have probably never exited anything ever!
    I'm still trying to figure out why all that crapola you outline above...even exists!
    What is that cumbersome routine all about? To give us something to fiddle with?

Otherwise, iPad is a nice Yuppie toy.
    The brilliant display saves it from being just another (too big) tablet
    which of course is exactly what it is..

I now regret not having bought a Windoze mini-laptop (or a Kindle Fire)
    with the same money, instead.

You don't have to be half-crazy to do CNC
    but it sure helps...

I could never see the point of tablets until I got one, a Google nexus 7 in my case.

I'd be lost without one now.

I'm going to a Ipad tutorial class at BestBuy next monday so that might help some...

"The iPad is multi tasking and if you dont exit apps they remain running. To check this double click the "home button".

This reminds me of homer simpson when he says..."to exit press any key"...where's the anykey at?

Where's the home button? is that the button on the ipad itself?
    newbie alert!

What ever you do DO NOT press the home button It will send your I Pad back to China.

You are worrying too much it takes several charges to ge the battery up to snuff. I don 't worry about closing apps unless things get glitchy. that can take weeks if you use a lot of apps. yes use the charger that came with it it also works with your phone. I use mine for games and such and even then I can get all day out of it. I leave wifi on all of the time. thats what allpe is good about consistancy. apps have buttons in the same locations for the most part and the back button is always in the left hand corner. just relax and enjoy it.