Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I got my Ipad today!

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    I'm going to a Ipad tutorial class at BestBuy next monday so that might help some...
    Dont know about the States but Apple stores in Australia have things called "Genius Bars" manned by super keen geeks. You just ring up and get a personal slot. Unlike other manufacturers this service is FREE forever and I think is why Apple is so huge in Oz. They have the same attitude as Shopbot and Yamaha to customers. You could always pop in your Learjet and come to one of Chrissies iPad workshops for motorhoming "oldies"! They must be good as she has never had a walkout and the workshops are for people that havent got one yet. She focuses on the benefits to the age group - how to get to hospital quickly - check access to a campsite by looking at the actual entrance in advance - checking how bad a dirt road is before committing - how to listen to your home radio station when out of state or overseas - intro to Skype and Facetime - a better bigger screen GPS with no map update fees ever - how to watch the ABC, BBC etc. - an intro to email - taking photos so that the campsite comes up on a map when you "forget" where it is - and of course heaps and heaps on craft!

Bob

Bob,
    How bout if i mail my Ipad to you then you set it in a chair and turn on Facetime and it will be just like i'm there in the class...... wait a minute...there's something wrong with that, but i can't figure out what?

Shopbot puts their classes online maybe she could do the same thing...
    The closest Apple store to me is about 90 miles away, BestBuy is just down the road a piece...

The main thing I want to figure out, since i'm going to be taking a train trip, is I want to put on my ipad several movies and tv shows to watch as i travel. I don't want to depend on netflicks or a connection on a moving train but have them stored on my HD. So i need to figure out how to convert them to a apple format then transfer them to the ipad.
    I have itunes and diskaid but so far i can only see how to download OFF the ipad and not ON to it.

You need to make sure the shows and movies are in the right format then import them into itunes. I use handbrake
    http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php/
    use the ipad setting or I use appletv3 and they all work fine. it will convert your shows and then import them into iTunes and have movies sync on your ipad.

Steves advice is spot on. I'll probably get flamed but for $3.99 a month you can sign up to the BBC and dowload PAINLESSLY stuff like Top Gear, Yes Prime Minster, Judge Dean, Midsummer Murders, Spooks and of course Dr Who to learn about time travel. What sort of plan are you on? Are you using a Simm card?

Bob

Mine is a 64 gig wifi and cellular data ipad. I plan on signing up for month to month cellular data before i go out of town. use the plan for a month and then if i don't need it i'm not locked into any long term plan.

i got handbrake and can convert but i can't seem to figure out how to transfer files from pc to ipad using itunes. When i open itunes on the ipad i see all kinds of stuff to buy but can't see any interface where i can choose files on the pc to transfer.

When i have itunes on the pc open i see all the video and audio files on my pc and i converted one file as a test and can see it within the itunes pgm on the pc

I can see under "devices" my ipad but it is greyed out and keeps on wanting to sync up and defaults because it can't and i don't want it to anyway.

in itunes use add to library in the menu and choose you folder the files are in and select them all. then iTunes will import them and if they are the right type you will see them under movies in itunes. then when you ipad is showing in itunes choose movies and setup sync in the way you want it.
    http://www.askdavetaylor.com/add_mov...n_windows.html

I use a program called Cusoft to translate dvds to ipad/ipod format. From iTunes, goto menu, then import folder or file, and the program will catalog all acceptable formats in that file or folder. you can also tell iTunes to search your entire computer but that takes a while.

David

I use handbrake only to convert ripped dvd's I knew there were outer aps but never used them.

The huge advantage Apple has is the massive range of apps out there and this thread really highlights this. The iPad is such an intuitive device you simply dont need a manual to just use it. Being a dumb bum people just assume I can help them with their Android devices. Truth is I really struggle as they are not at all intuitive at present. Anyway there is yet another video player that works in the iPad and thats Azul but its poorer resolution however it does play anything you throw at it and relatively seamless. So Jack when something wont play a little box will come up with "open in". Some of the suggestions could be totally daft but just select Azul and away you go! Costs $1.99. If you want to buy apps cheaper a very good trick is to buy iTunes cards when they are on sale for at least 1/3rd off. Also a good way to avoid using a credit card although the iTunes store seems to be pretty secure. Dont forget Jack you could spend your whole train trip watching CNC videos. I love the German chair making units. Fascinating!

Bob