Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 kids this Friday in the shop... wow!

Default 30 kids this Friday in the shop... wow!

So, two months ago I was asked to give a demo so to speak, of my woodworking shop. It's for my son's daycare - he isn't part of the group as he is to young, but there will be 30 odd kids between the ages of 4 and 8 years old coming in the morning for 1 1/2 hours.

They have field trips to various places and the daycare (which is really well run, and more like a school than just a daycare) wants to show them what a woodworking shop is all about!

I have spent many hours in my head wondering what to do to give these youngsters some sort of relevant info, as well as keep their interest and not have anything too loud or messy.

I decided to cut out parts on my Buddy, to make a small box. The front has their individual names V carved on it, and the bottom, sides and front/back are keyed together for easy assembly. I will get them to lightly sand the edges, and then glue them together. They will paint them at the daycare, and they can use them to store their pencils/pens/crayons, etc.

I am also going to (with the help of the apprentice working with me) get them to try planing a little basswood, with a small hand plane - driling holes into a block of wood with a small hand drill and maybe driving a few screws. Maybe even try cutting some wood with one of my small tenon saws.

I hope they have fun! I know I will!

AJC

Way cooler than anything my kids ever did in daycare! Should be fun for both you and the kids.
    Miles Thormodson
    Custom Digifab
    "The Home of Stump's Puzzles"
    www.stumps-puzzles.com
    www.customdigifab.com
    www.routertemplate.net

Thumbs up Nice work

That looks like a great project for young kids.

Well i would teach them how to push wood thru the tablesaw without a push stick
    since their fingers are smaller they probably won't get cut off and if they do, at that age it still has a way to grow... LOL

bravo, the simple art of putting something together and with your name on it will be inspiring, this is a very good idea!!

good stuff. I try to take my own son to factories and shops so he can see and know what "work" is but not to many people will even consider doing stuff like that exspecially to the level you are taking it. Bravo sir, Bra-vo

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Well i would teach them how to push wood thru the tablesaw without a push stick
    since their fingers are smaller they probably won't get cut off and if they do, at that age it still has a way to grow... LOL
    Well I do have a Sawstop table saw...

As for the time, well, I believe you have to give back to your community - I have done this type of thing for other schools, etc but never for a group this young. I look forward to it - tomorrow I will have to go in early (6am) and give the shop a very good cleaning, and put everything away that we dont need for the show & tell.

I will see if they would like to see the ShopBot running as well.

Will let you know how things went, tomorrow after I get home from work.

AJC

i do hope the intent is to let/help themput them together !!

Quote Originally Posted by cabnet636 View Post
    i do hope the intent is to let/help themput them together !!
    Of course! I will get them to sand the edges slightly, then we'll help them assemble them with a little wood glue.

AJC

Andrew you are an inspiration to us out here in the colonies. You got your Buddy 3 months after us yet you are light years ahead and you still manage to run a business. Your school kid idea is just brilliant. Make sure they dont drink any paint! We have only done 5 workshops with a max of 3 adults! Did sell a bot though which actually wasnt the aim of the exercise.

Bob