Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paddle Board

Default Paddle Board

I wanted to try out the 2 sided cut feature in Vectric Cut 3D. This turned out to be a perfect application.

My wife said she wanted a Stand-up Paddleboard. I did a little research, and then said... "I can do that."

So I modeled out a board after looking at several designs online, I couldn't find one I loved. So I took some of my favorite features, and made a 3D model.

Then to make a 12' long board like I wanted. I had to make a front and back section to cut from EPS Foam.
    (my wife would have been fine with a smaller one. But according to my weight and the research I did, for me to ride, it needed to be 12' long.)

I used the doublesided cut feature in Vectric Cut 3D and made top and bottom for the front half, and top and bottom for the back. I added tabs to hold it in place durring cutting, this was more crucial on the front, as it curves up slightly, and therefore wasn't cutting a flat plane.

I finished the board with epoxy resin and fiberglass. I actually made two, because her sister wanted one too.

EDIT: here is the blog post with the file I created to make this paddle board. This is my own file, I'm sharing it for all to use: JProPaddleBoard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JDaVinci; 08-26-2012 at 02:13 PM.

I guess it pays to have someone talented like you in the family huh? I imagine normally those types of boards are expensive aren't they? Good job

The finish work is what killed me. Fiberglass is a slow process.

The boards aren't cheap if you buy one commercially available. I had some leftover materials around that kept the cost pretty reasonable. But it had to be a labor of love.

But they were both very happy, and got plenty of compliments from other people on the lake with the 'expensive' boards.

But shaping it by hand, the way the pros do is for the birds. Vectric and Shopbot made the first half of the project a piece of cake.

Beautiful boards. What kind of epoxy did you use? Make sure to top coat it with something that has UV protection. If you are interested in a paddle or 2 let me know. Here's a shot of a few I did in cut 3d laminated cedar and glassed with 4oz and WEST System then top coated with polyester for UV protection. let me know if you would like to get the cut file.

Those boards look like lots of fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really need to run a cut 3D program and start to utilize that part of vectric. I am an old whitewater canoeing instructor from a few decades ago but my knees don't let me participate any more. I would like to either get a download or purchase the cut files for the board from JD and the paddles from Tim and start a new water sport ( new for me). please let me know if this is possible. Thanks
    Bob

I would be interested in files also.

I also would be interested in the paddle files. I have just received plans to build a kayak. tljrns@cableone.net. Thank you in advance.

Terry

I would chime in and like those files also, if it is not too much trouble. Both the boards and the Kayak.

My Bot Ships this week! Woo Hoo! I'm so excited....

To be perfectly honest... I don't mind sharing the file I created, although, i'm not sure that many could cut it. It would require 8" thick eps foam to be cut (to make the board 12' long.) I'm not sure how many can cut a file of that size.

I have a few files I've created from scratch. But I'm not really interested in emaiing it over and over. Does ShopBot have a forum or area specifically for sharing files?

Also, I plan on sharing ideas in the very near future, with the intent of inspiring others, and showing how I create things with my ShopBot. This is purely to generate creativity. I can't share many of my files as they were created with exclusivity to my clients. Things I create for myself, or for fun, in many cases, I don't mind sharing. However. I encourage all who are requesting files to read this post I read a few weeks ago. There were several good comments in there.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15685

I cannot speak for Tim, but I'd perfectly understand if he wanted to retain his files after putting so much hard work into them. And I encourage others to not be offended by the lack of "sharing" if that's what you want to call it.

I thought that post above stated it well. People want to "Show and Tell" here. If there was a repository that we could put files in for sharing, it might eliminate that awkward silence after someone asks for a file. We'd know exactly what people want to share... and what they just want to show. I for one want to feel welcome without feeling pressure to share files I worked hard on. I don't want to disappoint anyone. I'd rather inspire you to use, your software and your ShopBot and your creativity to make something even better!

To any TalkShopBot Moderators... Please let us know if such a place exists. I couldn't find one browsing the forums.

Thanks!
    -JD
    Last edited by JDaVinci; 08-21-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by taskins View Post
    Beautiful boards. What kind of epoxy did you use? Make sure to top coat it with something that has UV protection. If you are interested in a paddle or 2 let me know. Here's a shot of a few I did in cut 3d laminated cedar and glassed with 4oz and WEST System then top coated with polyester for UV protection. let me know if you would like to get the cut file.

Those boards look like lots of fun.

Thanks for the compliment Tim. I used an epoxy resin from US Composites. With our trip to Lake Powell quickly approaching I had to cut some dissapointing corners right at the end. And wound up just brush painting the board after a few coats of resin. The UV protected resin is a good idea, and if I did it again, I would take the time to do it right. As I said, the cutting came out great. But the finish became a full time job. And I couldn't put the time into it it needed. But we live and learn. Next time I won't try to build a paddleboard from design to finish in 5 days.

Your paddle looks great by the way. That is a much simpler solution than the one i was going to make. -I'm taking note of that, and if I ever make one, I'll borrow that idea. Thank you.
    We wound up buying a paddle the night before the trip, because I never got around to it. Really great work.