Thread: Looking at adding CNC

Default Looking at adding CNC

I have been looking through some of the forums and seeing responses from people using Shopbot in high schools or tech schools. I have just started to look for a machine approriate for an architectural department in a university setting. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not the Shopbot would be approprite for my needs? We currently have a laser cutter which works great for smaller items but we are looking to add the CNC to expose students to the technology and to allow them to create their own real life projects. Thanks for any help you can give.

Jeffrey,

Scroll down to the Applications area and then to the ShopBot in Schools section, those are the folks that can give you all kinds of goodies to help you make your decision. Russ

here is some 3d I am working on for architect firm

I remember when I went to Architecture School. You guys made my life a living heck by giving us projects that required us to work 80 to 120 hours a week. But on the positive side, it gave me a great work ethic and my time in the program taught me a lot of life lessons.

Anyways, I think a ShopBot would be a perfect fit in your department. Not only would it be great for aiding in model making, but it would be great in teaching the new capabilities fabricators have in making their designs. I wish there was one when I went.

Thanks for the info guys..........it appears there would be Shopbot machine capable of filling our needs; does anyone have particulars such as machine size, router/spindle size that might would be appropriate for our needs. I am hoping there is a machine in our area so if anyone knows of one in the Fargo ND to Minneapolis area I would love to see in action .

Jeffrey,
    You have two good options here; first would be to call Shopbot directly and ask them to steer you to a Shopbotter in your area. They can try to find someone doing work similar to what you are looking into.
    Second option would be to come to the upcoming Camp Shopbot in Mercer, WI on Saturday Sept. 29th-http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15330 That would let you see a Shopbot in action, meet other owners, and get some first hand experience.
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie