Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Sure What To Buy after IWF

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Kenneth, I have had both machines including their Legacy's CNC machine. As far as support my answer is "What support!". I am still waiting after 5 years. Don't feel bad after just two day's. Needless to say I got rid of my Legacy and bought my Shopbot. I have never looked back and never will. Support is great including getting return calls on Sunday's! Spend your money on a Shopbot and you won't be let down!!

Default Kick in the Butt

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Kenneth, let me put it to you this way...if you buy a Legacy we will come up to where you live and kick your BUTT! You will be BANNED from this forum, and when you have a problem we'll just tell you like my granddaughter says: "Too bad, So Sad!"
    Just kidding, but you won't regret getting a Shopbot....
    Jack,
    It's now 3 days on Legcy with out a call back and it's bye bye to them. Visited a shop bot in Cedar Rapids today and getting smarter. Now which one to buy maybe PRS 48 X 48 with the spindle and purchasing a indexer in the future. All it takes is $$.
    And not getting kicked in the pants!!

If your shop has room go for the 48x96.

I had a 48x48 for years and it would have been much handier to to cut full sheets of material on the bot. It always hurt when we'd have to pass on jobs because we couldn't do full sheets.
    - Randall Newcomb
    10 fingers in, 10 fingers out
    another good day in the shop

Kenneth,
    Let me relate my way of thinking...when i bought mine i bought the biggest one 120x60(?) along with an indexer because I wanted to be able to mount my indexer in the X axis and not have to move it to lay a sheet of plywood down to cut. At the time i spent around 15K including having a custom table made.
    I don't know what the prices are now. My reasoning was that there won't be anything i can't cut if needed. I will tell you that probably 75% of what i've done could have been done on a smaller table but there have been occassions where i could not have done the job without having the bigger table.

Keep in mind...you can always cut small stuff on a big table, but can not cut big stuff on a small table.

There is an upper midwest shopbot camp coming up in Mercer WI at the end of Sept. I am sure Dave can fit you in if you get on the camp section of the forum. We are having a cookout Fri PM and an all day learning camp Sat 9-30. Hope to see you there.
    Bob

Kenneth,
    If it was me, if you had to pick between a spindle or an indexer i'd go with the indexer. A spindle is quieter but if you have a dust collector that is louder then the router so if your motivation is to have it quiet, you kind of defeat the purpose.

The indexer on the other hand opens up a whole other avenue of creativity. Go back to the picture Randall posted earlier and the hollow spiral on the left side is something i made on my indexer and is one of the main reasons i wanted a shopbot in the first place.

Input from a small Caribbean island, kinda far from any real civilization..

Having messed with this-here PRT-96 for 11.5 yrs
    and needed SB Support now and then
    you'd be doing yourself a distinct dis-service to buy anything other than a ShopBot!

Hate to think just how up-the-creek we would have been on several occasions
    if we'd had a Legacy or Whatever..

You don't have to be half-crazy to do CNC
    but it sure helps...

Quote Originally Posted by bobmoore View Post
    There is an upper midwest shopbot camp coming up in Mercer WI at the end of Sept. I am sure Dave can fit you in if you get on the camp section of the forum. We are having a cookout Fri PM and an all day learning camp Sat 9-30. Hope to see you there.
    Bob
    Bob
    I would love to attend that!
    Could you provide me any more information?
    Ken

Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Default Legacy vs ShopBot

I was retired and didn't knowwhat I wanted yo do so I got a legacy wood mill and have had a great time with it. But then I got my bot and that was almost the end of the Woodmill. I am now in the process of hot roddin the bot and when I am finished I will have the left overs that I will use on the Legacy to make a Shopbot CNCed woodmill. From what I've seen of Legacy save your money and go with ShopBot and if you still want to turn on a 5th axis buitd your own on the bot. It's cheaper and faster and a lot more fun.

Doug