Thread: 12 volt source

Default 12 volt source

I'm looking into redoing my vacuum plenum and valving. I'm going with a set up that I seen on youtube from gary campbell with air operated gate valves. I'm going to build a control panel that will house all of the toggle switches. I want a light above each toggle switch to indicate which zone is open. My question is this: Is there a 12V source in the control box that will run 8 LED lights and proximity switches.

I don't know about alphas but the standard 4g control has them. If yours doesn't have one you could pick up a small 12volt dc transformer and wire it in. that would not be hard to do.

It's a PRS 5 x 8 Alpha.

garyc Guest

The PRSa control box has 5vdc and 24vdc power supplies in it. Avoid putting anything on the 5v system. You should be able to get LED's for 24V, or spec a resistor for your LED & 24VDC.

Talking

Thanks Gary, I've been looking for small 24v indicator lights but not having much luck. Thanks again and I might have a few questions along the way about the gates and air cylinders I seen you do but for now I think I got a grasp on it. I think

Found some in McMaster.

Rick- look around for aircraft indicators. They are "28" volts, but will work just fine on 24.

If you absolutely need 12 volts, you can convert 24 to 12 with a 7812 voltage regulator. 7812's come in three main sizes, .1 amps, .5 amps and 3 amps. With either of the two larger sizes.. be sure to use a heat sink.

If possible use the aircraft parts.. those you just hook up and go.

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

No I'm not set on 12 volts just easy to find switches and led's in 12 volts. I did find some 24 volt indicator lights in mcmaster. I looking for some good pnuematic toggle switches now.

You can buy manual air valves from Parker, MAC and other manufacturers. Automationdirect.com sells a toggle model for $14.50. I've bought manual air valves locally from Fiero Fluid Power. Several distributors in Salt Lake sell manual air valves, so I assume that almost anyone selling pneumatics would carry manual air valves.

Gary, I sent you a PM. Thanks