Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall 2012 CNC Jamboree

Default Fall 2012 CNC Jamboree

What is a CNC Jamboree? We started out like a lot of you as hobbyist CNCers and in time became very serious about the craft, art, use and function of CNC equipment. Our goal here at CNC Jamboree is to offer affordable and valuable training to everyone. To share new hardware and software and introduce you to patterns & projects that will blow your mind. We will also share machine demos with that will help you realize what a finely tuned and maintained CNC machine is capable of. The sky is no longer the limit.

What is a CNC Machine? Well you can use all kinds of techno jargon when it comes to this, but we choose to stay away from that and just say it like this. CNC is any device that is controlled by a computer. It could be a router, a laser, and embroidery machine, a long arm quilter (the list really does go on forever) … any number of things fit into this category.

Who can benefit from a CNC Jamboree?
    Anyone … In today's World CNC has become very affordable to hobbyists, artists, co-ops and small woodworking shops, it is on longer limited to large production facilities. The piece that was missing ... affordable training, we intend to fill that void, our training will appeal to novice as well as expert users. We know that the initial cost can be low and people sometimes get caught up in the excitement of just taking a machine home and they leave it captive in the box (you people know who you are) we intend to empower you with the knowledge required to make worthwhile projects, to set your machine and your imagination free, to feel the power of creativity and unleash it onto the World.

ANNOUNCING...
    September 28th and 29th, 2012
    Long Lake Park Campground, Lakeville, Ohio

Anyone interested in a whole lot of fun mixed with a little training?

The first ever CNC Jamboree will be held at Long Lake Park Campground the weekend of September 28th and 29th. That is a Friday and Saturday ... training all day Friday and Saturday morning with Saturday evening being open to the public - Show and Tell ... bring your work to show off, you never know who might be there that is looking for a piece just like that.

The price of this event will be $100 (this includes FREE patterns, all the fun you can stand, give aways and more) registration at the door will be $125 and may be paid with cash or credit card only, NO CHECKS PLEASE - this does not include any accommodations or registration for the CNC Machine by DragonWorks Studio.

Topics include ...
    • CarveWright Designer 101 & 201
    • The Business of Carving
    • Projects That Sell ...
    • Project Set-Up and Implementation
    • EZ Paint and Finishing
    • CarveWright 2D and 3D modeling and drawing 101 & 201
    • Show and Tell ... the public is invited to join us for this event
    • Mach 3 - Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced
    • G Code - Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced
    • Building a CNC Machine ... we will be building one on site during the event .... really!
    • Pushing the limit switches, and other ways to enjoy your CNC. - presented by Randy Johnson, American Woodworker Magazine

Please visit the website for more information ... www.CncJamboree.com

Default Presenter Bio ...

Wayne Sutter, President of Woodline.com

Wayne Sutter, President of Woodline USA , a premier router bit company based in Lavergne Tennessee, is a long time CNC enthusiast. Wayne started with CNC in 1995 when he got his first machine. He has had 6 large machines and several small ones over the years. Wayne has manufactured hundreds of thousands of parts by CNC and knows how to build, program and service CNC machines of all types.

Wayne is a former medical electronics engineer, college instructor for engineering and manufacturing systems and life long passionate woodworker. He has attended 381 wood working shows and demonstrated everything from router bits to CNC machines. He is an entertaining and educational speaker who loves to share his passion with others.

As a self described "CNC geek" Wayne designs, builds and operates all types of CNC equipment for woodworking and specialized automation. He recently completed a versatile 5’ x 5’ CNC machine that will do almost anything. He is bringing it to the Jamboree and will share his schematics, drawings, sources, as well as insights and experience in a fun and informative way.

We have Wayne scheduled for 10 hours of interactive demonstrations and presentations on all phases of CNC from overview, building a first class machine, Mach3 setup and control and everything from basic introduction to the intimate details of G code.

Randy Johnson, Editor-In-Chief of American Woodworker magazine

Randy is currently Editor in Chief for American Woodworker and Woodwork magazines, where he has worked as an editor for the past 11 years. Prior to becoming an editor Randy ran his own custom furniture business. Randy got his start in woodworking as a boy in his Dad’s workshop in rural western Wisconsin using mostly lumber they harvested from their own land. Randy’s first job out of college was teaching woodshop for a junior high school in the U.S. Virgin Islands—where oak were considered exotic and the shop’s workbenches harbored a thriving colony of termites. Randy received his M.A. degree in Industrial Technology Education from Appalachian State University with an emphasis in furniture construction and design. For his thesis project he build a Boston Bombe chest, using mostly hand tools. About five years ago Randy started exploring CNC woodworking and currently writes a regular article forAmerican Woodworker called “CNC Workshop” where he explores the creative possibilities of CNCs. Highlights from some of his articles (including some CNC project plans) can be found on his blog at www.AmericanWoodworker.com/CNC.

Presentation title – Pushing the limit switches, and other ways to enjoy your CNC.

Randy will present an inspirational overview of his favorite tips, tricks and techniques for getting the most from your small shop CNC including texturing, two-sided carving, working with small parts and creating complex designs using simple design techniques.

Joe Lovchik, Marketing Director, LHR Technologies

Joe Lovchik has spent his whole life creating things. His artistic talent was discovered at a very young age as he was always drawing pictures and, even today, it is rare not to find a sketch of something on his desk that he has mindlessly doodled. Joe's passion for art led him to earn a Bachelors of Fine Arts degree from Wichita State University. During his early years in college, Joe worked as an art director for a major sportswear company where he gained knowledge in industry marketing and brand management. His career was further expanded as he spent the next 10 years working as Art Director for advertising agencies specializing in brand development. One such brand was a side project for his brother Chris, the inventor of a new personal-sized CNC now known as the CarveWright System.

Eventually persuaded to move to Texas, Joe became the Marketing Director for CarveWright. Since joining LHR full-time in 2007, he has played several key roles in its growth including development of the company website, marketing and sales materials, creation of learning tools, videos and tutorials, and conceptualization of new product development. His knowledge and expertise in graphics software has allowed him to help guide the software developers in their advancement of the CarveWright software. Using these resources, Joe has become the expert for CarveWright Systems.

Michael Culp, Founder of DragonWorksStudio / Technologies Coordinator at the University of Kentucky

Michael K. Culp is employed by the University of Kentucky and holds the position of Technology Coordinator with the College of Design. The creative drive behind DragonWorks Studio; Michael is a dedicated husband and father of three. He takes pride in being a former Boy Scout turned pack leader and once held the title of Training Commissioner with the Boy Scouts of America, experiences which ultimately inspired a love of working with his hands and helping others achieve their goals.

A virtual collector of professions, Michael has worked as a programmer, technical service manager, sound-man, band manager, promoter, studio designer, prepress graphics engineer, art director, pizza driver, and even a furniture mover. A lover of anything geeky or computer related he has repaired, moved, or owned about every personal computer ever made. Michael’s varying experiences have yielded a extensive knowledge of graphic programs, operating systems. This knowledge has thus provided the unique opportunity to educate both small and large classes in the proper use of such applications.

Michael spends his copious free time redesigning the very idea of the CNC machine, reworking tool jigs for woodworking, and attempting to design a laser powered mousetrap to decimate the uncatchable smart pants mouse with which his family shares their home in Georgetown Kentucky. He has completed three working CNC machines and currently is working on what he lovingly deems as the- insert favorite eighties horror movie tune here- Apocalypse CNC. Michael claims that the idea behind the Apocalypse CNC machine is that it can be made completely with standard hardware store components found in your local area.

The future looks bright for Michael and DragonWorks Studio as the search continues for a permanent location to open shop doors with the public in mind. The idea is to provide the tools, facilities, CNC technology, and educators in the fields of design, art, and craft to people of all ages and backgrounds.

DragonWorks Studio is dedicated to making dream projects a reality for everyone.

Over the two-day event Michael will be teaching a hands on class designed to educate and inspire the building of your own CNC machine from parts and supplies purchased at a local hardware store.

Patterns, plans and instructions for the CNC machine will be available for purchase at the Jamboree, as well as, a chance to take the machine built during the Jamboree home.

* The parts for this CNC can either be created by hand with either common hand tools or using a small CNC machine such as the CarveWright ©.

Jason Allen, Founder of the CNC Art Guild / Owner of The Sign Mill

Jason Allen has fulfilled his father’s lifelong dream of having his own woodshop and business. In a small shop in Lexington, Kentucky, USA, Jason is finding his dreams coming true, as well. Written by: Connie Ratisseau

Of his CarveWright machine Jason says, “Without this little machine, my life would not be the way it is now and it is pretty good!”

I had the pleasure of meeting Jason Allen at my first Woodworking Show in St. Louis (Collinsville). What struck me most was his enthusiasm and energy. His passion for what he was doing and excitement for the world of CNC was infectious not just to me, but for everyone fortunate enough to speak with him as they came into our booth that weekend. The record number of machines we sold that weekend has not been broken.

Researching Jason’s website www.littleredwoodshop.com (now www.TheSignMill.com), I was profoundly struck again by his character that shines through his website. I was reminded of the Girl Scout Promise that I took years ago. “On my honor, I will try: to serve God, my country and to help people at all times…” That is Jason Allen. On Spirituality, Jason professes, “I am not a Sunday Christian. I am, however, a believer…(that realizes)…when I stop being selfish and start listening to what God is telling me. I get rewarded.” His rewards are abounding by his company that is finally flourishing and he attributes some of that success to his CarveWright. “Without this little machine, my life would not be the way it is now and it is good!”

Jason purchased his first Hobbyist CNC machine about 4 years ago. “I researched the machine for a year (before purchasing) and I wish I hadn’t lost that time.” Jason is currently looking for a home for his multiple CNCs, a retail space that he will call the Carved Sign factory (more on that later). Since his father’s death seven years ago this past May, Jason has been busy realizing his father’s dream to have his own Woodshop. Left with his tools and a lifelong exposure to woodworking and metal machining, he built The LittleRedWoodshop in Illinois and has used its success as a launching point.

“That’s the beauty of it (CarveWright – hobbyist CNCs). Regular Joe’s like me from a variety of backgrounds can use it.” Jason claims to have “inherited his (fathers) tools, but not his talent.” One look at his work and it is obvious Jason has found his talent. Jason creates beautiful lithopanes (Greek word meaning “light in stone”) from Corian. His “Jesus Wept” and “Whole World in His Hands” Lithopanes cannot be appreciated in a photograph as they are in person with the light shining from behind his carvings. Jason considers himself to still be practicing. “I thrive on reactions…I always get a WOW. And that WOW is what keeps me working towards perfection.”

Jason is not just a CarveWright user; he was the leader in forming the new CNC Art Guild; an idea that began on the CarveWright User’s Forum and within weeks became a reality. The CNC Art Guild (www.cncartguild.com) at printing time has over 500 members all over the United States and in multiple countries, of individuals that have an interest in sharing ideas and information with fellow CNC Artists and Users. “That’s the beauty of it (CarveWright). Regular Joe’s like me from a variety of backgrounds can use it.” Of the CNC Art Industry, Jason states, “it is a totally new industry waiting to blossom and explode.” At his shop, Jason also creates signs many of which have a military theme. An ex-member of the US Army Medical Corps and coming from a long line of military family members, Jason’s patriotism is evident from his website.

After seeing one of his military signs, Jason was asked to participate in a memorial to fallen war hero and Medal of Honor recipient, Cpl. Jason L. Dunham. Read more about the Cpl. Jason L. Dunham at memorial at his website.

Considering that this is a Shopbot site lengthy bios and information for a carve-wright seminar seems a bit out of place at the least in this thread if not on the forum.
    What do you think Nancy?

I have seen this posted on other forums and they do have more input than just from carvewright machines. I was thinking of attending myself.

didn't see any shopbot related stuff in the schedule ?

Default Classes

The classes are not all centered around CarveWright ... almost the entire right column should appeal to anyone that owns a cnc machine.