Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aspire not saving all the time

Default Aspire not saving all the time

Hello everyone..... In the last two days when I use my Aspire (newest version), I can make one save. But when I try to save after another small change, I get an Aspire error message: "Failed to create File........ Code 103"

When it won't let me save, I try to close Aspire. It warns me that I haven't saved my changes. I try to save, and it gives me the same message again (Code 103). The only way I can exit Aspire, is to select the option to quit without saving. I have restarted my PC several times, over the last two days, and this problem persists.

I also did the on-line check to see if I have the newest version (hoping there was a patch). But I get the message saying I have the newest version of Aspire.

This is a frustrating problem, and I had some important changes to my file that I lost as a result..... What do I do????? Thanks, Chuck

Hi Chuck,

If you contact Vectric via support@vectric.com we can try and get to the bottom of the problem.

Are you saving your file to a local disk or a USB / Network drive? If a USB or Network drive, please try repeating the process on a local drive where you have full rights to save a file (such as your 'My Documents' folder). There are folders on a PC where you can create a file, but not delete it (and hence overwrite it).

Brian

Hello Brian. Thanks for your reply. I will contact Vectric via the link you supplied. As a note, the problem of not saving is with saving to my PC's C drive.

I guess the fact that I posted the question here on Shopbot's forum is a testament to my familiarity with this forum, and my respect for the results I get.

Thanks, Chuck

I have had this error message on several occasions. I hit 'save' a second or maybe third time and the file is saved. Not sure what is going on. I'm not saving to a Windows 7 secured part of the hard drive or anything. I save everything in 'My Documents' subfolders.

Another computer gremlin I guess. At least I can eventually save the work without loosing it.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    I have had this error message on several occasions. I hit 'save' a second or maybe third time and the file is saved. Not sure what is going on. I'm not saving to a Windows 7 secured part of the hard drive or anything. I save everything in 'My Documents' subfolders.

Another computer gremlin I guess. At least I can eventually save the work without loosing it.
    same here. hitting the save button over going through the menu seems to do it too.

Thanks guys. I will try to save the way you suggest.

Some notes: I use Windows XP. I save on my internal C drive. And in doing more testing, I found that this problem only existed with my big Aspire files, like on the order of 45megabytes. Smaller files didn't have this problem.

I have sent a detailed email to Vectric, and when this is resolved, I will post the results here.

Thanks, Chuck

Have you tried defragmenting your hard drive? You may have enough free space but it is divided into lots of small pieces. Defragmenting may help with problems saving large files.

Microsoft instructions are available ->here
    - Randall Newcomb
    10 fingers in, 10 fingers out
    another good day in the shop

aspire and vcarve have problems with larger files. like whne I have a lot of parts to toolpath it can cause aspire/vcarve to crash. when I do these large stencils that take 4+ hours to cut I have to divide them up with several toolpaths to keep the software from crashing. but this is a good idea as it is easier to see where you left off if a bit breaks or such.

Hello again. OK, I just got done de-fragmenting my hard drive. I went from 223Gig of free disk space, up to 293Gig of free disk space. Then I went back to see if my save problem was affected. De-fragmenting did not help. But it was worth a try, thanks.

Then I thought I would try and save 5 times using the pull-down menu, and then try using "ctrl S". Well, on my 5th pull down save, I got the message that a "fatal error" had occurred, and it asked me to create a "dump" file. So I hit the save dump file, and got another error message saying that the dump file had failed to be created. Then Aspire shut down completely.

Any other suggestions? I will try whatever I can while I am waiting for support help. These added experiments may help Vectric support to figure out what the problem is.

Thanks, Chuck

What sort of anti-virus package(s) are you running?

I've seen a similar problem on a relatives PC who was doing a lot of video editing which is also large files.

In that instance he had two AV solutions that were fighting over the file.