Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopbot project on Kickstarter

ok that makes sense. I always leave the marketing to someone else (G)

I just read through the kickstarter.com ad.

I like the product, but as a kickstarted investor, what am I kick starting? What is your end goal? What do you need the money for? Are we helping to buy the materials up front in bulk to lower the cost? Are we paying to help you buy a laser engraver? Are you trying to move from the basement to commercial space? Or are you seeking funds to buy your own shopbot? (Highly recommended )

Just my 2 cents.... I don't usually go to kickstarter to buy things. I fund kickstarter to fuel the dreams and businesses of others.

Charles

My thoughts as well Charles. I've invested quite a bit in various "proper" startups on KickStarter.

Using it as a marketing tool just seems wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianm View Post
    My thoughts as well Charles. I've invested quite a bit in various "proper" startups on KickStarter.
    How does one make the distinction between 'legitimate' or 'proper' startups and otherwise?

On one hand, I think it is a great platform to launch all kinds of ideas that need funding - but when I look at all of the overfunded junk projects on there (in disbelief really), I have to wonder - if all of those types of projects were pulled if KS would still have the same amount of traffic and allure.

It could just be that KS is still evolving or - as shocking as it may seem, it's all about the money. They get a piece of whatever action is on there, regardless of whether it funds a campy granola ice cream startup or a pet rock. They are not just 'being nice' by hosting this stuff...they exist to generate coin for their partners.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

FWIW I don;t have any problem with this particluar kick start.

I am just letting you know the questions that ran through my mind... in the hopes you'll update your kick start (and get a lot more money for whatever you are doing....)

Whatever you are pursuing, go for it. Tell others about it... and like minded folks will support you!

When I went to the ad I was hoping I would find myself helping somebody buy a shopbot (mondo cool thing to be part of) or to add a laser engraver to your shop if you already had a shop bot...

My 2 cents... forge on!

I'm probably being an ass, but one of my biggest beefs is with SketchChair - asked for $18,000, got $31,475, and we never got anything out of it. Their site now sells product, but no sign of the promised open source program for making them - I have an alpha release from several years ago. nothing since...

Sorry for ranting - it has nothing to do with you - it's late, needed a bit of release, I guess...
    Ron Sloan

I too invested in Sketchchair and i guess for $20.00 you probably don't expect much but since they reached almost double what they asked for you would think you would get a usable product or at least updates on how the project is going. This to me was like "take the money and run"...

My rant also has nothing to do with THIS project...good luck with it

Quote Originally Posted by ssflyer View Post
    I'm probably being an ass, but one of my biggest beefs is with SketchChair - asked for $18,000, got $31,475, and we never got anything out of it. Their site now sells product, but no sign of the promised open source program for making them - I have an alpha release from several years ago. nothing since...

Sorry for ranting - it has nothing to do with you - it's late, needed a bit of release, I guess...
    Sketchchair didn't work out for me either.... Write to Sketchchair and express your feelings....

</end thread hijacking>

Thanks for the input I do say what the money is for in the video. I want to make some dedicated vacuum jigs out of aluminum I also need to do some more work on the ecommerce website but Kickstarter made me take that part out. If I raise mor than the minimum I would put that money towards a laser engraver

I fell I need to say “Sketchchair” big promises , never delivered …used in a very bad way the open source concept.