Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 Z flex issue. Should I buy the 96x48x12?

Quote Originally Posted by crash5050 View Post
    just so I understand in my head? an Indexer is basiucally a CNC Lathe?
    No. The only thing it shares in common with a CNC lathe is the fact that it turns on axis and has a headstock and tailstock.

A 4th axis indexer, indexes in degrees and is essentially keyed up with the other 3 axes so that you can have synchronous movement between the indexer and the router. A standard 2-axis CNC lathe just spins & X and Z axes do the work with a knife.

Everybody is so quick to push the indexer, however in the real world if I took a poll, I would guesstimate that 90% or more of the indexers ever sold are still sitting in their little mini crate. Very few know how to use them, and even less know how to use them well.

Spend your money on a larger tool, like a 5x10 and get a spindle. You can always do 'the indexer thing' later after you make some money.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

David- Again Brady's point is very valid. Most people dont use an indexer much, however: if you have work that needs to be rotated in controlled amounts they are the perfect tool.

I have found the indexer to be a very handy tool, and I have only done a little "lathe" type cutting on my shopbot. There are times when I want my part to rotate to a new position so I can do regular XYZ operations on it and the indexer is just way cool.

I bought the indexer without any specific need. Then found a zillion little things like cutting threads (and rethreading):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1_xu9MQ_cw

I have cut new threads using both taps and dies using the indexer also.

There are just tasks that need SLOW turning of the tool, and the indexer does just that.

I was just posting to the thread on winding field coils with magnet wire using the indexer. Yet another application that is not in the textbooks.

Brady is right.. most of the indexers just sit idle if they ever get hooked up at all. Its a real shame tho..

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

There is some good advice here. I have a indexer and I have used it maybe 8-10 times in 5 years. But I do cut 40-60 sheets of plywood a week building commerical and residental cabinetry, countertops and signs.

In defense of the 12" Z...

Mr. Souhlal

You have been given very good advice by very knowledgeable people... And I agree with them somewhat. Brady's very first comment was "What do you want to do with the machine?" and that remains the elephant in the room... If you're going to be making cabinets and cutting sheet goods all day, the 12" Z is a poor choice. However Since you stated you are retired I doubt that's the case! Custom furniture a retiree is likely to make will often require jigs and fixtures that eat up the Z. I've attached some photos of a project that was brought to me earlier this week... It' a gage pod mockup for a sports car. because I have 12" of Z I was able to make the part.

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for all your comments!I have learned a lot and will decide this WE.
    Enjoy ths WE
    Bobby

I have a 12" Z. Whilst it's probably true that most of the time I'm cutting sheet goods the real money (and for me the interest) has been in the occasional 3D jobs. Some of these have been foam, some MDF (never again) and some timber. The "slop" is partly eradicated by firstly rough cutting, and then finishing the part.

When cutting sheet goods or other thin stuff I have a 5" temporary "spoil board" in place. I do some 3D stuff with this in place and you could cut boat name boards with a 6" Z.

It's worth mentioning that cutting 3D stuff requires 3D CAD and CAM software which is more expensive and more difficult to learn than 2D software. You've probably really got to want a 12" Z to justify the extra cost and potential hassle. Some of us do.

I also have an indexer which I've used a few times in seven years, but I don't think it's ever earned me any money.

John

I am waiting for a 12" Z to arrive. Now I read this thread...

I have an old PR and I would like to figure out a way to raise the Y carriage when I want to cut extra thick materials. I am thinking of aluminum blocks I would be able to insert that will raise up the Y rails by 5" or so.

Anyone think this might work? Other suggestion? Sarcastic remarks?

Richard,
    If I were doing this to a PR, I would use some 4x4 or unequal leg steel angle iron. You could also use AL, just make sure it is stiff enough with twice the wall thickness of the steel you would use (say no less than 3/8" thick in AL). Be sure to really gusset that riser piece in the Y direction or it will be too sloppy. You want to put the longer leg of the angle underneath or on top of the Y utilistrut and bolt it up with at least 3 bolts per member (6 per side).

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I can get Boche extrusion that is about 4" square and really solid. I was going to use it as a spacer.

You think it needs bracing to work though...

The extra Z height will be good to have when raising the router I guess...

Why not just build a single piece gantry, it removes a whole bunch of the problems..