Thread: New owner for older PRT

Hybrid View

Default New owner for older PRT

My brother, Terry, bought the 48 X 48 PRT offered for sale by Tony Omachinski... Tony upgraded his situation and this one will make a good intro machine for my brother. The table was a home-built wood version that tony inherited from the people he bought it from... Terry's situation was that he needed it to be on wheels... normally not a good idea for a PRT. We re-built the base as a torsion box... very rigid! If its not sitting flat, one wheel will be off the ground. Shim the high wheel and run the job! The first thing I did was get rid of the arch... e-chain is getting so reasonable on eBay now days. Next I added proximity sensors... I wonder how anyone ever survived without them! Re-aligned, squared, cleaned, tightened, lubed and slightly upgraded... this 10 year old machine is purring like new! A vast improvement over the carve-write he originally asked me about.

I only had a week to spend with him and now he's having to put into practice those hurried lessons I so easily clicked through... If he has any questions he knows where to get the answers... And maybe some day he'll stop lurking and say hello!

Lesson learned... The MDF at the MSP MN HD stores is absolutely the worst I have ever seen! Can anyone on the south side of Minneapolis tell us where quality MDF is to be found? Plumb Creek hopefully.

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tell your brother he should plan on attending the Shopbot Camp in Mercer, Wisconsin at the end of the month.
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy