Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digitizer Output File

Thanks, yet again, Brady. This was a BIG help.

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    2) After probing is complete, run the probe to surface translator utility...
    Where can I find this utility?

In SB3 under Tools->Probe2Surface Translator, unless you have v3.6.44, then you're out of luck.

Email SB and ask them to put it back in again...not sure why it is missing.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

John,
    PM sent....
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

UPDATE: It was a small oversight that the probe to surface translator was excluded from the control software. It should be back in there in the next release. I believe it is present in the current beta release.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I haven't used it in awhile, and didn't notice its absence! I have the latest Beta, and it still isn't there. However, it is still in C:\Program Files\ShopBot\Virtual Tools\Probe to Surface folder, on my XP computer - no doubt leftover from a previous version.
    Ron Sloan

Sorry...meant to say next beta release...

If you're dying and need it, you can download v3.4.27 (in a different install directory!) and run it that way.

-B

Default 2D and 3D Probe Files

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    You'll want to choose the scan as SBP option when you do a 3D probe routine. Then when complete, run it through the Probe2Surface translator as a 3D DXF. File sizes can be quite large when converted to 3D DXF, so my advice would be to copy the SBP over to your most powerful computer. Fire up SB3 and then use the translator to make the DXF.

In terms of stepover & resolution, you will probably max out at .01", with .025" being a good 'sweet spot' with .0625" stylus before you start approaching the law of diminishing return. I doubt you will see much difference in data quality or density @ .01 vs .025" SO.

NEVER use the Zzero plate with the probe. Set the upper & lower limits to scan and make sure your stylus is long enough to do what you ask it to do without bottoming out. You also do NOT want to probe the table surface...Put a piece of masking tape on the spindle to prevent it from turning while probing or it can wind up the cord...and MAKE SURE the spindle never gets turned on when you start the routine (SO,1,0).

You'll need Aspire at the very least to edit the probe data.

-B
    Hello B-

Have you ever imported 3D DXF probe files into Solidworks?
    I can get the lofted surfaces but still learning how to manipulate and extract the surface as a .stl or other model.
    I've imported the 3D DXF probe file into Aspire too but not sure where to go from here.
    What I'm Doing: Wooden chair seat profile.
    Minimum Quantity 100

I have the master original to scan and replicate. I need one "pre production" unit asap.
    I bought the probe and started integrating it yesterday.
    I'm running v4 4 x 8 SB PRT 7.2 Gear Ratio

I'll keep searching. I'm finding folks sketching chair bottoms in aspire and using two rail sweeps mirroring etc. That's also an option but I need to copy the master original not create one.

FYI I ran both the 2d profile .sbt and 3d .sbt .25 SO.
    I DID create a 3d DXF with surface translator.

I have those file available. The 3d Scan is 101kb over the 97kb limit I guess. I can send a dropbox link.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm told you specialize in scanning etc.

Thanks in advance. I did try to reach Grant and Frank today too. No reply yet.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Replicate Master Object W/ShopBot

I must have missed something. Aspire is not a solid 3D program it is a skin dim manipulator functioning
    in differital data as it has no solid geometry cloud points for any object.

SolidWorks is going to have a problem with the lack of splines in .dxf's

I thought a resulting digitized file could be immediately processed with Cut3D.
    If so, what's the reason for all this Solid Works issue? Drive Bot with Cut3D to mill the 100 required.

Mike,
    You would need to translate that 3D DXF into an STL using a program such as AccuTrans, Rhino or other program in order to bring it into SW.

Keep in mind that SW is a poor program for working with digitized data and there is always an issue trying to go from mesh to solid.

-B