Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Door program for all users

Default Door program for all users

All right, I give up. For those of you who wondered what color my hair really is (gray, not blond), I'll admit that I really am a left-handed dyslexic programmer - which is the reason that my C-code is fairly obtuse.

I've just completed alpha-testing a version of my door program that only requires the use of a spreadsheet to input the required parameters. NO 'C' PROGRAMMING REQUIRED. You will need to use three spreadsheets that require strict compliance to pre-ordained layouts, but they make the inputting of cutters, doors, and system variables as easy as entering any number in a spreadsheet.

I'm still writing documentation and a README file, but everything should be ready by early evening April 1, 2005 (no - this is not an April Fools Joke. The software exists and really works).

Here are the requirements:

(1). You need to use either a Linux computer or a Windows computer.

(2). You need to have access to a spreadsheet program that has the 'SAVE AS ... CSV' file type. (OpenOffice, an open source program has just such a spreadsheet that is available at no cost via the internet.)

(3). You need to be able to create a few folders/directories in Windows or Linux.

(4). You need to be able to copy SBP files from a working directory to your preferred folder/directory.

(5). You need to have sufficient computer skills to use a spreadsheet - ask almost any high school student for help, if necessary.

If the requirements are not intimidating, you'll have SBP files that create three styles of cabinet doors - normal, arched and roman arched. You'll have SBP files that ramp into most cuts. You'll have the ability to use any V-cutter regardless of angle. You'll have the ability to run a tabbing-pass that is intelligent enough to know how to leave a consistant web (your choice of tab length) to hold everything together. If you're fairly good with a spreadsheet, you'll also have rudimentry nesting. (At least you'll be able to specify the spacing between the doors and you'll be able to see when a run of doors exceeds your material length/height.)

If this program for everyone? ABSOLUTLY NOT. There are some very good programs available commercially, including DoorBot by Wes Mason, that do a very commendable job for a relatively low price that do not make you fiddle with your computer. This program is for those of you who don't mind rolling up your sleeves a little to get SBP files. My goal is to provide something that might be useful to you in the hope that you'll provide something useful to others. That's it - the Open Source Philosophy at work in the Shopbot community.

If you're interested, send me an email. You'll have the program, along with the source code, within a day or two. (OSI licensing controls the use and distribution of the source code, meaning that you MUST distribute the source code if you distribute the executable code.)

-Mike
    miker@xmission.com

Thanks for the great response to the offer for the software. Frankly, I was awestruck to know that there are so many of you who are willing to give it a try.

If you sent a request for the files and you haven't received them yet, please send another request. I bounce around from computer to computer in various places throughout the day, and I've been known to be somewhat absent minded from time to time.

If anyone else would like a copy, feel free to send me an email. There are no strings attached (other than the necessity of honoring the osi license - meaning that you have to distribute the source code with the doors.exe file, if you give the code to others).

-Mike
    miker@xmission.com

Mike
    Excel saves as csv
    .........Mike

...but Excel is not open source.

Does the spread sheet have to be open source?
    ..........Mike

No - But Open Office is a nice free spreadsheet program. I like it as well as Excell or Lotus.

Ron

As Ron said, OpenOffice is a nice program. And, as he also said, you can download it from the Internet without cost. Since it comes with Fedora Core-3 Linux, I've chosen to also download it for use on all of my Windows computers so that I have a common program that crosses OS boundaries.

As Mike J. and Gerald have said, the CSV format is common among all spreadsheets (as far as I know). It makes it possible to easily exchange data between dissimilar programs.

As to the definition of "open source", it means that the "source code" or text files that contain the program's instructions are furnished with the executable program - so that the end user can modify any part of the program if he desires. Open Source is misunderstood by some to indicate that the program is "free", as in, without cost; however, the "free", in this case, is more like the word "freedom", meaning that the user is free to modify the code to better suit his own needs.

Most Open Source software is released free of charge, but it is not required by the OSI license.

With that said, let me thank all of you who have asked for copies of my little program. Many eyes have looked at the source code and found several bugs that I totally missed. Others have asked questions that have reminded me that my instructions need revising. One user has written an excellent front end program that makes entering data much easier. (I'm hoping that he will post something on this forum to let you all know about his program.)

One final point. Some have thought that I released this program to compete against Wes Mason's DoorBot program. That is NOT the case. I have nothing but admiration for Wes Mason and for his DoorBot program. I would encourage anyone who regularly cuts doors to contact Wes Mason and to purchase his program. He, and others like him, provide a much needed service and deserve to be paid for their efforts. On the other hand, some of us, who are of the open source persuasion, choose to release software, usually software that is unpolished and of less than commercial quality, without charge. I hope that there is room for both.

As Mr. Richards said, there is a graphical user interface (GUI) for the Doors.exe program. Here is what it looks like:

7176.jpg

This program is strictly a GUI for Michael Richard's Doors.exe program. You need to have his program installed and working before you can use Free Doors. Really, all this program does is let you enter create a CSV file that Doors.exe can use. That and it is a little more new user friendly than the current version.

It would be an ideal Virtual Tool for the ShopBot controller. I will see what is involved with that.

The program is free, but there are some limitations, so please read the "About Free Doors" about box.

If anyone is interested, please email me (my email address is in my profile) and I will send them off a copy. REMEMBER: You need Michael Richard's Door.exe program, so make sure you get that from him, if you have not already.

Bruce

Hey Mike!

I'll sure allow as much room to a sharing person like you (and many others) as you'd like!!

Thanks again for sharing your work!

This is a GREAT opportunity for a "SB programming community" to develop and have fun on some COOL programming projects... have you notice how most thoses "open source" programs are VERY well built/written and answer VERY effectively one needs?!...

I'm a little confused by some of the responses. 1. Will the Door Program work with Excel?
    2. If I use Bruce's "Free Doors" program in conjunction with Mike's "Door Program", do I need anything else?