Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Door program for all users

Mr. O'Rourke,

No, you will not need anything else other than Mr. Richards' Doors.EXE and my FreeDoors.EXE. All the FreeDoors application is is a "front end". It allows you to enter data into a spread sheet like program, but it makes it a little easier for the first time cabinet door "maker".

The first round of emails is about to go out, I am just finishing up the Help/readme file.

Bruce

PS Yes, Mr. Richards' program will work with Excel or ANY program that will generate a CSV file.

Sorry to keep posting, but I just found out how to add FreeDoors.exe to your Virtual Tools from the Shopbot menu or by typing TE Shopbot command line.

OK, locate the file called "VirtualTools.ini" and add this line to the very end of the file:

VT = Fr&eeDoors, Virtual Tools\FreeDoors.exe, 0, 0

Save the file and then copy or move the FreeDoors.EXE program to the Virtual Tools folder. Mine is located here:
    C:\Program Files\ShopBot\Virtual Tools\FreeDoors.EXE

Now, load (or quit and reload) the ShopBot controller and now FreeDoors is under the Tools menu and is accessible via the TE command.

Bruce Clark

Ron Brown,
    I have been trying to reach you but apparently not connecting. Please email me and my apologies to the forum for taking this space.

A lot of you have asked what I think the potential market is for MDF doors. My best answer is somewhere between NIL and VOID (at least if I want to show my face at church next Sunday).

The doors program with Bruce Clark's front end makes it easy to cut doors BUT how many people specify unfinished MDF doors when they order a new kitchen?

MDF is easy to cut but it takes a lot of work to turn a raw door into something of value. I hate painting and I must have mislaid my thermofoil machine, because I can't find it anywhere. So, my options, when cutting doors is whether to charge almost nothing for them so that there is enough profit in the door to pay a painter or to try and trick the customer into believing that MDF is easy to paint. Both propositions are losers, in my opinion.

I see the MDF door market as a little niche market that comes around two or three times a year (at least here in Utah where solid lumber raised panels pre-finished doors are sold at prices less than I can buy the lumber for).

However, making MDF doors is fun. People who watch them being cut are amazed at the operation of a CNC router. Garages and dog houses look fancy with raised panel doors, but, kitchens and bathrooms may require something a little more fancy.

I don't want to throw water on anyone's dreams. "Some" people are successful cutting MDF doors, but I don't count on it to generate enough profits to be concerned about. If you're like me, you might have a market for a few hundred doors - to your family and neighbors, but to hope to sell the thousands that a Shopbot can cut in a week might just be a little optimistic.

HOWEVER, if you want to have a little fun impressing your friends and neighbors send me an email and you'll get the code free of charge. Better yet, send both Bruce Clark and me an email. I guarantee that it will almost be worth the price charged.

-Mike
    miker@xmission.com

I agree with Mike. But then we are both living here in Utah, and have both found the same response. When I was a cabinet maker 10 years ago - we used to do quite a few jobs that were white laquer MDF doors. They were a pain in the "A" to laquer and have look good. I talked to my old boss a month or two ago and he said that the MDF door market had pretty much gone away - and those that were using them were doing thermofoil. Again, all this agrees with what Mike said above.

However

I am doing a job right now for a family member - who likes the look of painted cabinet doors. No, I am not making any money on this job - BUT - it does give me a 'show piece' to have for my portfolio. The second thing it has afforded me is to get in contact with an interior designer who specializes in 'shoe string' redecorating - ala shows like Trading Spaces. The idea is that somebody can replace their old plywood, flat panel doors from the 50s and 60s, with a sharp looking raised panel door - as long as they like the painted look. There is still the issue of painting - and I would leave that up to the homeowner or interior designer to get done - as I love painting about as much as Mike does. Granted - I acknowledge that this option might not be for every home owner, and I still need to price thermofoil doors against what I would price these at.

Anyway, just some more food for MDF thought.

Matt
    Digital Router Works

Just an update on the FreeDoor program.

Mike Richards has pointed out a few issues that I need to resolve with my current FreeDoor program. I also want to make 3 or 4 more improvements to make the program more usefull and easier on the user.

So, there will be a delay of a day or two between any request that I get now and when you will get an email from me. Sorry for the delay, but I promiss, it will be worth the wait. Also, anybody who has already requested a copy, will automatically get an update when it is finished.

Bruce

First off, thanks for all the request and all the suggestions.

Many improvements have been made, including "one click" ShopBot file previewing and editing of CUTTERS.CSV and VARS.CSV files inside the program--so now, no other program other than Mike Richards' Doors.EXE is required.

The data grid is more "beginner friendly" and a "Recalculate ALL Offsets" has been added, which is more user friendly and intuitive than the first version's calculate as you enter.

Other minor bug fixes have been addressed, but I am sure there are more to find.

Here is the latest screen shot:

7238.jpg
    The program is free, but there are some limitations, so please read the "About Free Doors" about box.

Again, if anyone is interested, please email me (my email address is in my profile) and I will send them off a copy. AND REMEMBER: You need Mike Richards' Door.exe program, so make sure you get that from him, if you have not already.

Bruce

Bruce and Mike,

I got a chance to load the door program on Windows XP. I must say that I am quite amazed. I would love to spend some time learning parametric programming.

It would be helpful writing programs for hinge cup boring and drawer pulls, 32mm cabinet systems.

I like the visual layout, the user interface is pretty neat. I can't wait to see what new you guys look to add to this.

Nice job guys...

Thanks Jay,

For the rest of you, there is a new version of FreeDoors available that has quite a few new features and improvements. Here is the latest screen shot:

7289.jpg

Other than the fact it is a screen hog, the most visible feature is the "Layout sheet". This give you a rough idea of how your doors are going to layout on the sheet. There are some other new features as well.

As usual, the program is free, but there are some limitations, so please read the "About Free Doors" about box.

Again, if anyone is interested, please email me (my email address is in my profile) and I will send them off a copy. AND REMEMBER: You need Mike Richards' Door.exe program, so make sure you get that from him, if you have not already.

Bruce

Hi All,

Just put together some CorelDraw scripts to help draw Upper Cabinets and Doors. All you need is Corel Draw 9 and above (may work with older versions) to run the scripts. The scripts just do the drawing no CAM stuff.

Thanks
    ---jerry

Zip FIle

CorelScripts.zip (7.2 k)