Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Door program for all users

The Free Doors/Doors program has been updated. I have included the latest version of Mike's Doors program and source code into the installer.

You can get the latest version here:

http://home.centurytel.net/bwclark/

There is also a tutorial on how to use Free Doors on the site as well.

Thanks,

Bruce Clark

Hi Again,

I have added some more updates to the Corel Scripts. Now the Doors script allows up to 12 panels to be created. Also you can now save/load the dimensions from/into the drawing itself for both the door creater and the upper cabinet creator. The data is stored on a different layer. The scripts also support mm,cm dimesions besides inches. Also they should work with Corel Version 8 to 12.

Thanks
    ---jerry

CorelScripts.zip (10.9 k)

The doors program, version 7.12 still has a bug that misses 'sharpening' the upper left-hand v-cut corner when cutting a door with the arch on the right side of the door. You can 'work around' the problem by laying out any horizontal doors with the arch to the left side of the door. Doors with arches on both the right and left seem to work.

By the way, Jerry Dietrich spent significant time working on the doors program with code that was vastly superior to mine. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of Corel, so I can't look at his latest work.

Doors version 7.13 is ready for beta testing. Before making a general release, I would appreciate it if one or two of you would 'beta' test this version by running a batch of doors and then letting me know if the bugs have really been fixed.

miker@xmission.com

As Mike knows, I have spent numerous hours and days running samples, taking dimensions, modifing files, and cutting again. I think 7.13d is ready for prime time but believe there are other variations available in arches and cuts which may uncover minor tolerance or dimensional issues. For the most part I think Mike has done a great job of responding to my findings and has resolved them one at a time. I must have run 50 different small samples measuring each cut. I finally ran 8 production doors this week end 22X56" with 4" stiles and 1" arches successfully BUT had created minor offsets in cuts, angles, and bit dimensions to accomplish what I wanted to see and minimize any finishing. I can say the experience was valuable in finding/fixing my machine settings etc because these Groove and V settings are relative moves and if any axis is out, you will see the result in the parts. Offsets seem to be a good resolution but only if one runs and takes base line dimensions to offset from before a production part.
    Thanks Mike. I'm anxious to hear what others find.

A new version of Free Doors and an updated Doors.EXE is now available from my website:

http://home.centurytel.net/bwclark/

There is also a tutorial on how to USE Free Doors. You can view it online at:

http://home.centurytel.net/bwclark/getting_started.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------
    What's New? [11-18-2005 Version 3.51]

There is a new "option" or feature that is for passing additional arguments to the Doors.EXE program. This allows the user to

take advantage of new features or options that Mike Richards has added that I have not yet implemented. For more information

about options and arguments, please read Mike's "READMEV713.TXT" located in the DOORS directory.

This feature is disabled by default, but can easily be "turned on" by editing the "FREEDOORS.INI" file found in the DOORS\BIN

folder and changing the line:

PROMPTFOROPTION=0

to

PROMPTFOROPTION=1

This build/installer also includes an update from Mike Richards of his Doors.exe program from version 7.12 to 7.13.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce

Dear ShopBotters,

I am in the process of a MAJOR update to FreeDoors and would like to get some feedback from people who do Wainscot or would like to make Wainscots.

I am thinking about doing a FreeDoors "plug-in" that will let you create Wainscots from the Doors.CSV file. I would like to get some feedback on my idea for the interface and implementation to see if it a)will work b)be easy enough for a casual user.

Also planned is a "Graphical" way to adjust the type and depth of cutters used to create the recessed area between the "panel" and the styles/rails.

Also, a big improvements with the support of additional output formats (G-Code and DXF--to do additional editing in a CAD/CAM package).

Lastly, I am working on a step by step "how-to" that will walk you thought the actually cutting of your own cabinet doors (not just how to create them). And how you make a full set of kitchen cabinets (including tooling) from Lowes for under $80.

So, if you use FreeDoors or would like to, I would like to hear from you about user interfacing, Wainscot or other ideas for FreeDoors--this includes you Danny!

Thanks,

Bruce Clark
    PS My email address is bwclark1 (at) gmail (dot) com

Bruce, I think the wainscot idea and G code output would be very nice additions. I haven't run free doors for quite a while mostly due to the low margin on mdf doors BUT filling in a wainscot panel like the nice work posted earlier by someone (maybe jack jarvis? Sorry if I got that wrong) would be a viable product with ease of installation a key value and benefit to the customer.
    Customizing with reliefs, V carve or other art inside the panels would be very nice as well.
    I use Mach so if it was availabe with a suitable post processor, I would be happy to give it a spin and let you know the results etc.
    Graphical profile interface also sounds pretty user friendly and interesting. It would be nice to see other bits and profiles to help differentiate the final design details.
    You are a one creative guy!
    Thanks

Yes that was me with the wainscoting. I think this would be a great application (because it looks just like a cabinet door) but in my way of thinking you would need to be able to set lines in such a way that you can design your wianscoting so it mimicks the look of a rail and stile "put together" frame.
    If you look at my wainscoting:
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...tml?1171336954
    What i did was just make some "accent" lines to make it look like rails and stiles. I would defintely be interested in this.

Jack and Jerry,

First off, Jack that is very nice and is WAY nicer than what FreeDoors will allow you to create. BUT that is why I am adding in the DXF output option. You will be able to take the geometry into another program (I am planning on targeting VCarvePro but it should work with anything that can accept DXF files) to add additional engraving/carving/molding patterns.

My "idea" of how to do the Wainscot is to create a 7th tooling file that will create a new cutout file for the cabinet doors. You would still create the Wainscot like you were making multiple cabinet doors. You would generate the cabinet door files and then run the Wainscot plug-in that would let you pick the doors (graphically) you wanted to include in the Wainscot and the plug-in would generate the 7th cutting file.

Now, to product the Wainscot, you would run files 1,2,3 and then 7--skipping files 4,5 and 6. This would combine the cabinet doors into a single panel. Again, this explanation assumes a working knowledge of FreeDoors. Let me know if this is a viable way to create a basic Wainscot.

This would also, in effect, allow you to create multi "panel" cabinet doors (or even larger doors, such as closet doors or larger furniture doors.

That is the idea.

Jerry, I am about 95% done with the G-Code and DXF output option and I would definately appriciate some feedback on the G-Code optional output. I _WOULD_ really appriciate a true run on a machine, not just a Mach preview screen--I have been verifing output with NCPlot, so I know it is OK, but some things that I want to include are Header and Footer files and these never "preview" well, which is why I would appriciate an honest running of the machine. I would be glad to forward you an early Alpha version of FreeDoors 4. This will be a pre-Wainscot and pre-Graphic Tooling change, but those are coming soon (and quickly).

Anyways, let me know if this above make sense or is total gibberish.

Bruce