Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duplicated vectors and open vectors

Quote Originally Posted by brian_moran View Post

The open vectors message from toolpathing but no open vectors being found with the select open vectors command, normally only occurs if the open vectors are inside a group and hence are not selectable individually by the select open vectors command.

Brian
    No I get it in ungrouped too when a node problem is there. but the software won't tell you what one it is. a overlapping line or some other wacky thing.

Hi Chuck,

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Keysor View Post
    My other question in this post had been about open vectors. After I had imported my AI file, I did a Select Open Vector command, and I found none. But when I went to generate the cut file, I got a warning saying that two open vectors had been found, and would be ignored.
    You DO have two small open vectors in that file as Mark pointed out in his email reply to you....

There are also 2 extremely small open vectors on the outer “elephant” vector,
    as they are on top of the main vector, you cannot easily see these, but
    you can delete these, by using the “Edit > Select All Open Vectors” command and then
    hitting delete.
    When you import the file and use the 'Select Open Vectors' command if you look down on the status line it will tell you that you have 2 vectors selected (S:2). If you press the delete key these will be deleted and if you run the command again it will show there are no open vectors and you will not get the warning from the toolpath command.

1) When I import either the AI file or the EPS file, the outlining boarder of my image was a line about .02 wide. In both cases, that line should have been seen in Aspire as a pair of vectors, offset by .02. Well, only one vector was created, so to recreate the correct image, in Aspire, I had to fix this by adding the extra vector.
    Aspire (or any other machining package I'm aware of) will not treat a single line drawn in illustrator with a line width as a double line. This behavior would make most peoples illustrator files unmachinable. To create a double width vector line, we would need to offset your orignal line both inwards and outwards by .01 and delete the original line, this is not something we plan to do automatically.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    No I get it in ungrouped too when a node problem is there. but the software won't tell you what one it is. a overlapping line or some other wacky thing.
    Steve,

You only get the 'Open Vector' message if there are open vectors. If there are crossings or other problems with the data you get a warning that the toolpath couldn't be calculated, but you only get the error message about ignoring open vectors if there are open vectors. If you have a file you believe shows something different, please send it to us at support so we can look at it, but we have never found a file reporting open vectors which didn't actually have open vectors.

Brian

Chuck, you mentioned that you were importing letters that were created in Illustrator. Were these part of a font or were they drawn by you? The reason I ask is because I have found some fonts (especially ones found on various free font web sites) to be full of excess nodes and weird stray nodes at times, indicating the font may have been created by scanning a printed original and then using an auto trace program to create the vectors.

Or if you scanned something and then auto traced it, there may be a setting in the trace/vectorize function to remove or ignore speckles or noise.

Default AI double pats

Hi everyone.
    When transfering files from illustrator to Aspire make sure there is no fill for the paths. Just the outline.
    Aspire treats objects from illustrator as two overlaying objects. One for the fill, and one for the stroke.
    So just remove all color fills and just simply keep the strokes (outlines).
    You can then export as standard .ai file.
    Hope this helps.
    Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_moran View Post
    Steve,

You only get the 'Open Vector' message if there are open vectors. If there are crossings or other problems with the data you get a warning that the toolpath couldn't be calculated, but you only get the error message about ignoring open vectors if there are open vectors. If you have a file you believe shows something different, please send it to us at support so we can look at it, but we have never found a file reporting open vectors which didn't actually have open vectors.

Brian
    not sure exactly I will keep my eyes open for them. I choose select all open vectors but get nothing though I hit delete. and still get the message. I have run the file with no problems before on some of them.
    Some of them I fix with node editing. I am so used to it I just fix it without think exactly what it is anymore. But many time I use sect all open vectors and it does not select them.