Thread: Slighty Upmarket Tuscan Grape Clock

Default Slighty Upmarket Tuscan Grape Clock

We love Michael's monthly projects and try to do them all when time permits. Now this project became "upmarket" totally by accident. We were quoted really screwy freight costs from Michael's clock supplier, so we looked elsewhere. We found a fabulous "skeleton" movement, but of course our knowledge about clocks wouldn't fill a thimble! We got three from a lovely young lass in the UK with ball park freight (also got three standard jobs for Michael's Vectricon clock). Now what we didn't know was that skeleton clocks dont push in from the front! Ouch! So Michael's design was way too thin as we had to add a solid back as being transparent the battery was an appendage. Now when we did that you couldn't easily screw the glass front on! No worries having a Shopbot as you just cut out a four prong spanner and off you go. Same with the glue up. Twenty minutes gave us a really nice glue up jig to stop the bits slipping everywhere - bit of MDF with 6 dowels and a duplicate cap. Thought about using Jack's salt suggestion but chickened out, as Swietinia Mahogany is worth an arm and a leg in Oz.

Bob & Chrissy in Australia
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Eustace; 09-21-2012 at 05:29 AM.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Hi Bob,

I have made the same clock out of Walnut, as per the plan. Funny thing was I got the clock movement from Oz.

I think my Walnut clock turned out very nice, but pale's in comparison to your example.

Well done. Very Very nice.

Regards,

Roger.

Fantastic, Bob! The mod to the clock really looks great! Thanks for posting - keeps me highly motivated when I see folks enjoying the projects like this!

That clock was one of our favorite projects. Yours looks great! joe

Quote Originally Posted by penman View Post
    Hi Bob,

I have made the same clock out of Walnut, as per the plan. Funny thing was I got the clock movement from Oz.

I think my Walnut clock turned out very nice, but pale's in comparison to your example.

Well done. Very Very nice.

Regards,

Roger.
    Hi Roger - could you kindly tell us where you found your movement in Oz? After the event we did discover the little shop in Burleigh Heads - Lets Make Time. Also cut one in Eastern Mahogany but like you I like the Swietina as its a warmer timber and needs no staining. The mahogony being brittle lost the top third off one grape near the last pass!!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Hi Bob,

It was some time ago that I done the clock. I can not remember where I got it, but will do some " detective " work and will let you know if I can find out where.

Cheers,

Roger.