Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ShopBot Purchase

Default ShopBot Purchase

I am in the process of purchasing a shotbot for the hs I teach at.
    We are going to purchase a 96-48 alpha with the spindle. What other things should I look into purchasing? I have recently been reading a lot about the vacuum material hold down systems. I am not completely sure of how all that works or the best way to create our own system.

Any and all help or web links would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks - Eric

Howdy Eric, I am not sure a vacuum system is all that important in a school setting. There are many less expensive ways to secure the material to the table. In a production environment vacuum is just wonderful, but then the bot is run by someone who uses it all day every day. Students are another matter.. The bot will be misused not by malice but from the learning process.

I would invest in a very good dust collector if you don't have one already. As much as possible use metal ducting with flex hose only where necessary. That ground all the duct-work to remove static. That will probably be the best investment for reliability. Its also nice to touch a hose without that static zap.

There are other people using Bots in school settings, I expect you could call the folks at Durham and they would probably get you some contact info.

Good luck-

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Eric as a teacher that has used a shopbot I would not do a vacuum at first. Maybe after you are very used to the system you might put it in. We used clamps and screws mostly in our shop. If you want pm me and I will talk to you about how I had things set up. An indexer is a good to have also.

Ed

Thanks for the replys

Dana, I am looking at a Jet DC 1100VX portable dust collector.

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-DC-1100VX-...dust+collector

I dont know that I can tie it into my main system because of where we are going to try and put the shopbot.

Eric

Some of the fellows on here have found that using plastic screws for hold down is very practical when not using a vacuum hold down. Especially practical in a learning environment because the missteps that are bound to happen mean that the expensive cutting tools will zip through the plastic without damage which is far from the case with metal screws.

That unit seems to be too expensive (overkill). I bought one used for $150.
    Seems to work just fine.

Eric,
    I haven't read all the responses but if it was me i'd buy a router instead of a spindle if it is going to be around a bunch of kids.

I have never owned a spindle but it is a piece of equipment that requires a long warmup and basic care and upkeep and these kids are going to turn it on and go and within 6 months you'll be replacing it.
    I'd start out with a router because you can replace 10 of those for the price of one spindle.
    Yeah it's louder and not as COOL as a spindle but many of us have survived for years without one.

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Eric,
    I haven't read all the responses but if it was me i'd buy a router instead of a spindle if it is going to be around a bunch of kids.

I have never owned a spindle but it is a piece of equipment that requires a long warmup and basic care and upkeep and these kids are going to turn it on and go and within 6 months you'll be replacing it.
    I'd start out with a router because you can replace 10 of those for the price of one spindle.
    Yeah it's louder and not as COOL as a spindle but many of us have survived for years without one.

I would go spindle they are a lot quieter and the warmup is not that bad. At the place I work they don't do a warm up routine and they are still on their first spindle after 10 years of production work.

Another point to consider with spindle vs router is safety of the kids. You definitely know when a router is on because of how loud it is, but it could be dangerous for kids to forget the spindle is on because of how quiet it is.

Eric - the Jet dust collector works great with its vortex system. You might like to think about getting the 1200 model as its only 50 bucks more yes has a lot more gutzevwithout more noise. Quietest DC we have and great filtration around kids with the cannister filter.

Bob
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer