Thread: new fence for my saw...

Default new fence for my saw...

Although it isnt CNC, its almost there.. I took delivery yesterday of a Tiger Stop "Tigerfence" system (that I ordered down at the Altlanta woodworking show) for my Griggio 10' sliding panel saw. Its a stepper and ball screw driven fence which offers a fast setting, and excellent repeatability.

To install, you basically remove the stock fence completely. Then drill mounting holes in the table skirt, and mount the Tigerstop fence, and adjust everything as to cut square and true again. Then set up the electronics.

Once the fence is set parallel to the blade, and square vertically to the table, you simply cut a piece of material and measure it. Then calibrate the unit - after which, any measurement you punch in drives the table to that setting quickly, and within a few thousandths repeatability. I used vernier calipers to check the measurements and this thing is BANG on!

Here are some photos, including the carriage in the retracted position... which is why it was pain to walk around it all the time to reset the stock fence.

I know some of you use the Shopbot to cut your sheet goods. For me, I still do all my square cuts on the slider.

Good for you. I'm actually wearing my TigerStop t-shirt that I got at the IWF as I'm writing this I'm hoping to buy their fence for the miter saw this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by pkirby View Post
    Good for you. I'm actually wearing my TigerStop t-shirt that I got at the IWF as I'm writing this I'm hoping to buy their fence for the miter saw this spring.
    Geesh, I didnt get a T shirt..

I think I need to make a call...

Very nice machine and a nice addition to it Andrew, good for you!

Is that a finishing booth I see in the background? Sadly, there's not enough good discussion that I've been able to find about this topic on the better user forums.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryv View Post
    Very nice machine and a nice addition to it Andrew, good for you!

Is that a finishing booth I see in the background? Sadly, there's not enough good discussion that I've been able to find about this topic on the better user forums.
    YEs thats my finishing room. I have about 20 feet wide, by 30 feet long - with a manufactured 12' wide booth (its 7' high with a 24" explosion proof fan, Andreae filters)

I have two doors (both a full 48" by 96" which have the filters in them) to access, which allows me to wheel in and out any cabinet, table, etc right into the booth.

Lots of drying racks in there as well.

Here are some pics...

Gerald, if you are interested in the booth, I bought it from Raymar Industrial in Toronto. They make them, and can do any size, and different styles. The slanted back/ Andeae filter (which is an industry standard pleated paper dry style paint filter) is very good for wood finishing.

The 12' booth complete with all hardware, lighting, fan & 5 HP motor etc was somewhere around $7K.

I forgot to mention, the reason for the filters in the doors... for my make up air (remember the exhaust fan pulls an incredible amount of air volume) I pull in air on the opposite side of my shop - and it has a chance to warm up as it travels the 80' to the opposite side of the shop. Very important in the winter when its -40 degrees! The filters stop any dust from getting into the finishing room. Actually, the room stays almost dust free, and allows me to put a great finish on my product without worrying about what I am doing in the shop, making dust wise.

AJC

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

You will love the tiger stop . i have been using one on my radial arm saw for years . You can not beat the accuracy of them , not to mention that you can program 99 lists with 99 cuts per list .

Nice move with the tiger stop. They have excellent tech support too.
    Bob

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

I have never thought about tech support, I have never had to use it.