Thread: branding iron

Default branding iron

At the IFW show in August, I ordered somnething I have been thinking of buying for my shop, for the past 15 or more years.

A branding iron!

Everyone I make things for asks "did you put your name on it somewhere" to which I always reply, sorry, no. I am encouraged to mark my work continuously, but never gave it much thought.

The company I ordered it from is Wall Lenk. They had some really great logos on display, and when I showed my business card & logo, they assured me they could do it no problem.

I just got it yesterday, and tried it out in a number of species. Works great!

I bought the 400 Watt model that mounts in the drill press to make branding simple. I plane to brand my drawer boxes, underneath chairs, etc.

Here is a sample on basswood (what I make my drawers from).

AJC

Talking

Why didn't you make it on your shopbot? I've carved several brass brands using a small engraving bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Andrew,

I have been thinking about something like this for the drag knife box top. It could save the time of the v-carving. How long does it take to burn that? No e-mail contact on their web site, so will call them on Monday. The picture seems pretty big. Is it as big as the logo on top of the Drag Knife box? Did you notice if they offer units with more than one heater?

I could easily carve my own on the shopbot too, but adding the heat and controls for it would be the expensive part.

Very fitting Andrew but no doggie? What did it cost?
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Very nice Andrew. My son brands his logo on his custom furniture pieces as well. It does add an extra touch that people like. As I recall his is not electric, he just heats it up and it cost very little. That's a great idea putting it in the drill press as it is easy to get a little "light" on one side when doing it freehand.

Quote Originally Posted by donek View Post
    Andrew,

I have been thinking about something like this for the drag knife box top. It could save the time of the v-carving. How long does it take to burn that? No e-mail contact on their web site, so will call them on Monday. The picture seems pretty big. Is it as big as the logo on top of the Drag Knife box? Did you notice if they offer units with more than one heater?

I could easily carve my own on the shopbot too, but adding the heat and controls for it would be the expensive part.
    The logo is the size of a standard business card. I bought it with the 400 Watt (they offer 200,300 and 400 options) and mounted on a body that allows mounting in a drill press (and has springs to self-adjust the angle and pressure).

Once it is hot, about 20 minutes, I branded a few dozen in succession without any waiting for re heating. It is probably overkill for my use, but for the extra bit, I figured go with the bigger heating element.

My cost including postage to me was $490 Canadian.

AJC