Thread: Returning Buddy owner

Default Returning Buddy owner

Hi

I have a buddy48 that I bought years ago. I just started playing with it when life happened and I had to concentrate on other things (like making sure I stayed employed). So I have been away a long time and am just now wanting to get back to the fun.

I noticed new buddies are different. Mine has an aluminum table. The new ones don't? Did the aluminum table design have problems? Should I find out if I can upgrade and get current?

Thanks
    Jim

Jim.. consider yourself very lucky!

The aluminum table gives you many advantages over the newer design. One of which is rigidity. The new ones use plywood.

You also have the drilled and tapped holes at known positions. The plywood has nothing.

Put two sheets of your favorite spoilboard material on top of the Al-Slab to protect it, and start enjoying a great machine!

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Thanks Dana. It is definitely built like a little tank - this aluminum table is no joke.

I was poking around and noticed the power stick attachment now is a much wider and sturdier extrusion. I have the original 8' PS that I got with the Buddy and it is not nearly as beefy - and actually flexes.

Do you believe there is a way to retrofit the newer power stick on the older Buddy design?

Jim

Hey Guys,

Check the current SB price list or call SB. I believe there's parts to retrofit an older buddy without the power stick.

Regards
    Randy
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

I just leave the Al-slab on the original drive, when I use my powersticks I use whatever seems to be appropriate for a table. I remove the table when I am done so the powerstick is stored "bare". it takes up a lot less room that way, and its heavy enough as it is.

I think the new power stick design is better, but the aluminum table is just way cool. I have considered using optical breadboard as a base for my 4' and 8' powerstick, but have not tried it yet. Its designed to be very stiff and reasonably lite. You can buy aluminum monolithic optical breadboard also in any size. Normally it is drilled in a 1 inch grid with 1/4x20 tapped holes. That is a standard mount with optical lab equipment. (There is also a metric equivalent standard.)

My 4' powerstick gets used for the indexer more than anything else, the indexer is mounted directly to the powerstick without a table.

Hope that helps-

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Jim Harmon? Of Broadcom fame? Can't be.....

Dave Fifield

Dana on a new Buddy how do think using two powersticks at once on opposite sides would go (with an extra stepper)? Havent tried Andrews rollers on the edges method yet. On the standard BT48 we lose detail in graphics on extremes even with regular resurfacing.

Bob
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer