Thread: 4x4 or 4x8 PRS for woodworking?

Default 4x4 or 4x8 PRS for woodworking?

Friends
    I am trying to decide what will be the right CNC size for me. I am a new retiree and want to suplement my income with CNC woodworking. I mill my own wood and I have put on over the years a nice woodworking workshop and soon to add a CNC but space is a premium as well that I want to keep the cost down.
    I am planing to use the cnc mainly for furniture making, some time with kitchen cabinets, wooden doors,gift boxes with 2 or 3D, inlays and so on.
    Could I use a full 4X78 plywood sheet on a 4x4? Does starting with a 4x4 will force me to get a 4x8 few years down the road? your guidance and experience are highly appreciated
    Thank you

The cost difference is not that much so go bigger. You can cut smaller on a big machine but it is hard to cut large stuff on a small one.

Greetings,

I originally thought that I wanted a 4x4 machine. I am so glad that I purchased a 4x8.

JIM

If I could make it work I would go with the 4 x 8. The key phrase is "cabinets". Second option is a buddy with power stick. You can always add the power stick if you find yourself doing more 4 x 8 then you think you will in advance.

I owned a 4x4 for a number of years. Get the 4x8. The ability to lay down a full sheet of material is worth it.
    - Randall Newcomb
    10 fingers in, 10 fingers out
    another good day in the shop

When i bought mine i got a 5x10 because i wanted to do large columns without having to move the indexer. I wanted to be able to also lay a full sheet of plywood on the table.

What i have found is that many of the projects tend to be smaller in size and i could make them on a 4x4 however when large jobs or projects have come along i was able to do them without having to turn them away.

I think you would be better off with a used larger one then a new smaller one. It won't be long before someone comes along with a project that you won't be able to do because of size limitations. Certainly no cabinet work using 4x8 plywood.

Check out the used equipment section for something for sale to get a feel for the difference in prices.

Yep, 4x8 is well worth it for general work. Otherwise, almost everything you handle has to be cut down first.

Reasons you may still want a 4x4 include: you're doing a very specific task, like part of a production process where the parts/material fit on the smaller machine. Don't have the space for a full sized machine. And/or you find a deal on a 4x4 where someone us upgrading to a 4x8 because they didn't read this thread first.

/RB

Buy your second machine first !!

Another thing worth mentioning. In the future, the resale of a 4x8 per dollar would most likely be higher then a 4x4.

Regards
    Randy
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

I've got a 4x4. Had the money for the 4x8, but not the floor space. I constantly (current project included) have to spend considerable time figuring how to work within the smaller space limitation and wouldn't have to if I had the larger 'Bot.