Thread: How to reduce Rapid Moves on sliced 3D

Default How to reduce Rapid Moves on sliced 3D

This is my first time using Aspire to try and slice a 3D model so I may not have set something up correctly. I'm wondering if there's any setting which can allow a more efficient sequence of rapid moves between objects in the toolpath?

On my roughing toolpath, the preview looks like the rapid moves have ADHD.
    On the finish toolpath they at least seem to have a horizontal orientation.
    The profile toolpath is what I expected it to look like.

There's 4 slices (1 1/2 inch thick material) for the top of the model, and 4 slices for the bottom of the model. I positioned them after slicing - does the sequence of placement have anything to do with the toolpath sequence?

Other software I have allows various sort methods for toolpaths but I didn't see any option like that in Aspire. Is this an option that I'm not finding? This might greatly reduce the inefficient travel from one place to another and significantly speed up machining time.

This model is approx. 24 inches tall and 10 inches thick when it's assembled and the estimated machining time is about 7 1/2 hours total. I realize that's not a true gauge of actual machining time but I'm guessing it's an overly optimistic estimate until I tweak the software. Is 7 1/2 hours for something this size considered normal if I'm cutting foam at 2.5 inches per second and jogging at 3.5? It's an older PRT4896 so I'm not going to get those Alpha speeds.

I planned to use 1/4 inch bit for roughing (with 50% step over) and 1/8 inch bit (with 20% step over) for finish.

I've watched most of the training videos online and on the DVD but I'm still just getting around to actually putting it to use.
    I really didn't want to run 7 1/2 hours on a test model of something I want to make about twice as large so if there's something I can change to get the machine times quicker, that would be really appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that I thought about what I did, (which was to follow the method in the slicing video) I'm wondering if it would have produced a more efficient toolpath if instead of selecting all the slices for the roughing, and making that toolpath, then all the slices for the finish and making that toolpath, if it would have been better to toolpath each slice separately one at a time. Then when they get cut it would finish one slice before moving to the next slice. It's more files but it might run a lot faster if there's no other way to sort the toolpaths for cutting.

Default toolpath

Try a offset toolpath . looks like you are using a raster toolpath.
    hope this helps. larry kilian

If you toolpath each slice as it's own toolpath, then your rapids will only exist in between toolpaths...not back & forth as you show.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com