Thread: New Easy to Use Sign Material

Default New Easy to Use Sign Material

Dont know if botters in the States can get this stuff yet but it sure solves a heck of a lot of problems with finishing - like NONE needed other than painting the letters. The test bit shown is straight off a not particularly sharp Rockler 90 degree bit. The chips are nice and curly. You can sand it, painting is a cinch, saws reasily, wont chip or split, no nasty dust or smell. Comes in four colours and 90 and 130 mm - $6 and $10 a metre. Sound toooo good to be true? Its bamboo and old milk bottles (and possibly 49 sectret spices!). Heavier than Jarrah so it should also be vandal proof.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_...rown_2867.aspx

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Yes we have the composite decking material one of the brands is trex.

They use wood chips and recycled plastic

Over time there will be some swelling if not sealed I have made several signs from it. It does machine very cleanly but on large signs get really heavy.

I use a notched glue joint bit and poly glue to join larger panels

Thanks Brian - hadnt thought of gluing with polyurethane and now cant wait to give it a bash! The factory in Oz is just down the road from us. They reckon ours doesnt swell and advise not to paint as bamboo is the strongest fibre occuring naturally. However it DOES bend in hot sun if on wide centres (over three feet) and absorbs heat alarmingly). What do you think about bits 12" by 36" for signs on flat walls? Price wise here its the same as Merbau. The Mountain Ash colour looks super modern. They dont have an eco green colour yet! Cant work out though why it s heavier than HPDE? Here is the Aussie link. Anyway we will persevere as just love the ease of machining. You can cut wafer thin veneers so it could be great for brand name quick inlays.

http://ekologix.com.au/

Chrissy just loves your carvings - particularly the owl on the pile of books. Craftsmen with your skills are just dying out over here. We are sadly down to two places teaching inlay now which is a real shame.

Bob
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Hi Bob,

not trying to hijack your thread but been meaning to let you know that I have hunted high and low for the paper work for that clock insert I was telling you about. Can not find it anywhere sorry. but believe me I definetly
    got mine from Oz.

Cheers,

Roger.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Roger

Thanks for getting back to us. I think its www.letsmaketime.com.au at Burleigh Heads in Queensland. Run by a lovely lass Janine. Since putting up the clock post we have had a lot of enquiries for specials but we are thinking of making a cheapey using some nice red oak we have come across - the "A" in the pic above is sitting on the first bit we have used. Anyway Janine has a special on at present of five skeleton movements for $100 which means you could make these for a tad over $100. Here is the link.

http://letsmaketime.com.au/cat/index...uct_id=1465620

Are you going to have a bash at painting your grapes? Chrissy had a lot of fun doing our first one as the winery owner came round with photos and would you believe she used 15 tones! Mike would be proud of her!

Bob
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Hi Bob,

now you mention the name I think you may be correct.

Regarding the Skeleton clocks I actually bought 5 from Oz, not from your source, somewhere else 6 years or so ago. I think I paid $25 each then. Well I finally got around to cutting some base's for them a few months ago, using the CNC. I have kept one myself and sold the rest except one. I am amazed at how accurate it is.

As far as the grape clock is concerned I have no intention of doing any painting. Ii is made from Walnut and I feel paint would not suit it. I think the main reason not to though is because it is to hard for me.

Regards and cheers,

Roger.