Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spindle

Well again your wrong. Routers and drills have radial bearings. They cost $10 to $25 dollars. Spindles have angular bearings which cost $250 to the sky's the limit. If spindles had radial bearing every one would be replacing them.
    Thanks
    Don Clifton

Default I would suppose

I would suppose one could always "mark the holes" with a small bit on the spindle and then ......DRILL them out later with a DRILL.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Technically you are correct regarding it not being recommended to drill with a spindle. However I have been drilling with my Columbo 5HP (This is far from an HSD 2.2) for 8 years. It has been used for regular cabinet production for the last 5 years plus with many batches being runs of 100 cabinets. It drills all line boring, hinge holes, and drawer slide holes in melamine, plywood, and plywood with laminate. I keep the plunge speed low (.5"/sec) but that isn't too slow to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time and peck drill with one pullout to a depth of a little under .5. The bits are made for plunging (.5mm compression bits from Centurian. Bearings are still perfect. No noise, no runout, no problems.
    When it is running the back dado and cutout paths I don't ramp in, but just plunge it.
    I've never needed to do a dimes worth of service to the spindle and do make sure it gets warmed up and cooled down.
    The smoothness and lack of required service has, IMHO, made the up front investment well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by donclifton View Post
    Well again your wrong.
    The Colombo 5hp has two single row deep groove ball bearings in the nose. Pics here from someone who actually took one of these apart. When you take apart your spindle & post pics, then I will respect your opinion regarding this subject. Who knows, maybe your spindle has different bearings in it. I'd like to think that my track record has been good enough over the years to allow me to be wrong from time to time. If you are going to call me out on something, have the documentation or pics to back it up. I'm not going to sit back and watch inexperienced users ask questions and share in the Cool Aid sipping answers. Sorry! The new guy coulda been me from years gone by, and I don't want anyone to have hardship over bad information.

At the end of the day I could care less whether you drill rocks with your spindle. I truly do not care. What I do care about is the dissemination of bad information bred out of superstition, myth or hearsay, that gets read and ingested by new users...which I believe is what has happened here in this case of drilling with a spindle. Few ever got the facts, and the truth became something akin to whisper down the lane, with people believing whatever they want about the subject. Belief cannot trump facts.

Just to reiterate what I have been saying all along:

From PDS Colombo's site: http://www.pdscolombo.com/engineering_angle.php

High Speed Electric Spindles designed for routing applications are equipped with bearings capable of achieving high RPMs and enduring high radial loads (side cutting). When entering the work piece with these spindles it is important to keep the axial loads low in order to prolong bearing life.

When programming your work-piece, entry angles should be kept from 0º - 20º off the table. This will keep axial loading low and allow feed rates at 100%.

When the work piece design requires a steep entry angle, the feed rate should be reduced according to the chart. This will minimize axial force on the bearings.

Above all, avoid "crashes" of the spindle into the table, fixtures and work-piece.

Specially designed Electric Spindles for drilling or boring applications are also available.

If I am 'wrong' from here on out regarding this subject, then so be it.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

First off I'm far from new to the machinery and equipment world. I have rebuilt several spindles and with the exception of chinese spindle everyone had angular bearings not radial. The differents is that the balls are supported not only on one side like bearings in routers and drills but on two side. Sorry if I hit a sore spot but I think you should make sure you know what your talking about before giving advice. I have never taken apart a columbo but have HSD and many others. Why do you think it cost so much to replace spindle bearings as compared to router bearing. A spindle is just a 3ph motor and most have bearings that are easyier to change then a router motor.
    Don clifton