Thread: Vector Art or bitmap grahics

Default Vector Art or bitmap grahics

Hello all.

I am still learning and I'm sure I will for some time. I will be 6 feet under when I quit learning. I'm trying to convert different graphics to EPS files, without great results. I don't think they look good. The students are on some free graphics and clipart, and then, we have tried some online converters as well as in partworks, but, to me, none of it looks good. Can someone give me some pointers on how to convert, or where to find vector art, or what to do?

Thanks Dennis

There are lots of source of free vector art on the web. A google search for "vector drawing" or "vector art" or similar produces lots and lots of usable files.

Also try a search for "dxf cnc" that will bring up lots of vector format file that will need little work as well. http://mydxf.blogspot.co.uk is a well know source as well.

For a little bit of money you can't do much better than the files from www.vectorart.com

As for converting bitmaps the best results are with line art drawings. Do a search for "coloring pages" and you'll see the type of thing that converts well.

Usually you can load those straight into Partworks/VCarve, use the bitmap trace function and create a really nice V-carve toolpath in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by dpings View Post
    Can someone give me some pointers on how to convert, or where to find vector art, or what to do?

Dennis,
    Hand tracing with a mouse or digitizer pen (Wacom) is the absolute best way of getting good results. You'll want to start with a good high resolution photo or picture, and then import it into PartWorks. Then select the polyline tool & 'rough out' the overall shape, going around the perimeter etc. Then use the node editing mode to move nodes around, insert new ones and to convert line segments to bezier (French) or arc curves and manipulate them to accurately follow the artwork you want to digitize.

It is not nearly as daunting as it sounds, and this is how the professionals do it. I don't care what tracing program you use, they are leave something to be desired and the human eye is the best judge of where shapes should start and end. Learn the short cut keys for node editing - they will really speed up the process. The more you trace things out, the faster you will get. Before you know it, it will all be 2nd nature.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Another decent source for vectors is dingbat fonts. You can install the font file and type the corresponding letter then convert to curves in vectric products.

Regards
    Randy
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

Dennis, aside from excellent vector programs like CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator there are very good auto trace programs. The very best of these that I have ever seen is Vector Magic. Developed at Stanford University you can try it a couple of times for free and after that it's pay subscription service. http://vectormagic.com/home