Thread: Cleaning Up Around Letters?

Default Cleaning Up Around Letters?

A lot of times I make raised letters with shaped tops with the "create shape from vectors" function in Aspire.
    Since I generally have any number of 3d elements, I toolpath using "create 3d roughing toolpath" then clean up with "create finishing toolpath".
    That process generally leaves the bases of the letters a little choppy and I'd like to create a toolpath to run around the letters and clean them up pretty.
    I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this without creating a pocket toolpath that wants to go over the entire area (as it should). It's an excruciatingly long process and it's not going to work out in the long run.

Can someone suggest a strategy to do what I want?
    Could I possibly use a profile toolpath and set my depth to the base of the letters and work the outside of the vector, or would that run into other vectors that were close? (Sorry for trying to answer my own question, that just occurred to me as I was typing and I haven't tried it.)
    I should mention that I do all this with descending sizes of ballnose bits.
    Thank You!!!

Yes that will work. Or trim slightly inside if not clean enough.
    Keep this in mind when designing.

That was just gone over at the Vectric conference. Offset the radius of the tool, use a profile pass. and you can keep track of the depth so it doesn't cut into the rest of the model.

Bob

Thank You, Gentlemen!!!
    I tried it real quick and although I set my depth a little too deep, it worked and was very quick and easy. I'll be able to tweak my depth and all should be well.
    Thanks again!!!

Default Please post pictures of the problem

Scott, I didn't quite grasp what your problem was. Would you mind posting some pictures of the problem you had so I can get a handle on the problem? Then I might understand the fix too. Thanks, Chuck

Chuck,
    Because of the way the tool moves(up and down) doing letters in 3d often leaves for lack of a better term, chatter. By offsetting the tool the radius of the tool and running a profile pass you can remove the chatter. There will be a new feature in aspire that will add draft so you don't have the straight up walls if you elect not too.

Bob

Thanks Bob for the clarification. All the letters I have carved have been done with V-carving, so I was not aware of the issues being discussed. Thanks again, Chuck