Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Default Hurricane Sandy

hope all are ok
    http://www.WoodworkingByErminio.com

Custom Cabinetry, Furniture ,CNC Services
    Email:Wberminio@msn.com
    914-666-8746 Shop/Office

I talked to 3 botters in NJ - still waiting to hear back from one of them. Everyone is OK - not all have power.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

No power here but we are used to it going out for days at a time the line is down at the end of the road.

I have to go and cut up a few trees in the road, much less damage than Irene.

Thanks for the call this morning Brady!!! Cape May NJ Checking in here! All is good. The barrier islands took a beating, but where i live just off shore I'm kinda protected and on high ground if there is such a thing in NJ. Just lost power over night. I'm planning on cutting all day! On the Bot that is.
    Last edited by kurt_rose; 10-30-2012 at 12:44 PM.

I lost power/ part of my roof lifted up /It was fun trying to repair the roof with 70+ gusts! At least no water
    http://www.WoodworkingByErminio.com

Custom Cabinetry, Furniture ,CNC Services
    Email:Wberminio@msn.com
    914-666-8746 Shop/Office

I hope everybody is all right. These storms are no joke. For those affected, it does get better. The outpouring of volunteer support, and charitable efforts will be of an even larger magnitude than the storm.

We seem to have dodged a bullet here in Vermont. Only 10-15k power outages in the state, and no flooding serious enough to make the news. A few days ago some of the potential tracks would have brought 2x as much rain as Irene.

The flash flooding sustained during Irene affected just about everybody within sight of a creek, river, or stream in south/central Vermont. I know countless people who are still rebuilding their homes and businesses. I still have to replace drywall in my shop. 100 mile sections of road, including much of VT100 were left un-passable, and required major repairs, and entire stretches had to be re-built from scratch. Our road crews got this done in about 3 months. Hopefully they will be heading south.
    Last edited by michael_schwartz; 10-30-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

In southern VA we had wind and rain for 4 days. Water from the river was up about 7 actual feet from normal but My house and shop are about 15' up. Small roof damage to the shop but no power loss so that parts all good.

If you happen to be a sailboat lover, the HMS Bounty (tall ship) sank off the east coast (I think the Cape Hatteras area). You can still see the masts above the water. I hope they recover it.

The latest report had the Coast Guard rescuing 14 of the 16 crew with 1 confirmed fatality and one missing. I will be praying for the families of the victims of this tragedy.

I hope this is the only crew member lost on ANY boats or ships that went through that hell.

I have not heard reports of fatalities on shore. I sure hope there art none.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

While I feel for the crew all I can ask is one question. Why the heck were they out there. We've known about this storm for over a week now. I just don't get it. It's just senseless.

You're right Kurt. The Captain should have high-tailed it away from the storm in any direction he could go. With the winds from the storm he could have broad reached (wind coming from behind and pushing the boat on its fastest point of sail) right up the US coast into the Canadian Maritime Provinces and taken shelter there. There is no way the storm could have taken him by surprise with all the modern electronics and communications equipment.

My Dad used to sail large square rigged research sailing ships for Marine Shoals Laboratory as the Captain and had to high-tail it from several hurricanes and other bad storms. Never once did he put his boat or crew in jeopardy.

It seems like it was pretty senseless.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.