Thread: Part Works Question

Default Part Works Question

I don't have a dedicated CAD software package and I do all my architectural submittal drawings by hand. I use part works to do a lot of my layouts for accuracy. My question: I need to do a complex elliptical drawing that would be difficult to do by hand but a chinch to do with part works. Is there a way to print screen and just have only the object lines of the design show up with out all the ShopBot screen background

Tom

What version operating system are you using on your design computer? Versions later than XP have a "snipping tool" that lets you choose what portion of the screen you want to save... or you should be able to crop your screen capture in "Paint"

I find I'm neglecting my CAD packages and do all my drawing in "PartWorks"... so I'm happy to hear that the next version will have a dimension layer!

SG

Tom,

If you are using a later version of Partworks, there is a Print function that will print exactly the vectors shown in the 2D window. You will find it under File>Print, as well as the options to Setup and Preview.

Tim

Steve,
    I am using windows 7. I am not the computer guy my wife is. I think that she use Microsoft word to print screen with. Any help in using the snipping would be great. I could do my drawing and then hand dimension and that would save me a ton time. I can't wait for a dimensioning layer in part works!

An other thing you could do is export to ink scape and print it from there. ink scape is a free program like corel draw

@ Tim Merrill,

I didn't know we had the print feature for 2D. Just to see how it worked, I thought I'd give it a try. All I get is the line around the material. It doesn't print any of the vectors in my material. (partworks v. 3.503)(windows xp)

Any suggestions of why it's not printing my vectors?

Thanks!
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy

Eric,

Not sure what to tell you, it has never failed to print for me.

There has been one post on the Vectric forum with a similar issue as yours, but he got it working without saying exactly what he did:

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtop...15190&p=105995

Whenever I get any strange results I find it beneficial to restart the computer and let Windows re-read the registry. It may be worth a try. In this case, turning your printer off/on won't hurt either.

Tim

PS You should also upgrade to 3.504. It is free and all you need to do is use Help>Check for Updates.

Tom

I also use Windows 7... the snipping tool, (for me) is located on the "Start" menu. If it's not there, try using the search feature.

When the program is called up, your monitor image is slightly grayed out and as you drag a box around what you want to clip, that area becomes clear. When you let up on the mouse button a screen comes up asking where and what name to save it as. It saves a jpg, gif, or png at your screen resolution.

Hope this helps!

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

@ Tim Merrill,

Turning printer off/on did not help.

Rebooting computer and printer off/on did the trick... thanks!

What is in the 3.504 upgrade?

Thanks again!
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy

Happy you got it to work. It is a great feature and with the ability to add dimensions coming it will be better yet.

The fixes in 3.504 were very minor but why not do it? If you read Brian's post in this short thread it may help:

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtop...=13692&start=0

When I see people not using the latest version I'm just in the habit of bringing it to their attention. They can then decide whether they want to update or not.

Tim