Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wainscot help.

hey! I resemble that remark!
    That's the nice thing about a shopbot, it makes lame-o newbies (like you) look like they know what they're doing!

what...you didn't think i was going to say (like me) did you?

John

If your going to be painting the wainscot it is a fairly easy job to do with MDF and Vcarve Pro. I just received an order today for a room of wainscot which we will be doing next week. Naturally I don't have any finished pictures but here is a link to the PDF 3D drawing we sent to the customer. I am providing the link because the file is to large to upload here. If you down load the file and open it in Adobe Reader you will be able to use the mouse to zoom, pan, and rotate around the room. If this is what you are looking to do let me know and I will be happy to give you a list of the cutters and how we cut these with Vcarve Pro.

Sam

John, you know what frame and panel doors are? they are rails (the bottom and top) and Styles (the sides) that wrap a solid panel. The solid wood panel expands and contracts so to keep the door stable with the least amount of movement, the panel slides into grooves on the rails and styles. You give a bit of gap for expansion and contraction of the panel. most bits you can get for this (called rail and style, a matched set) will cut a 3/8th profile which includes the groove and a cove of some sort on the top. There are a multitude of bits to cut the profile on the panel but the panel must be able to slide into the groove easily. Wainscot is this same type of treatment for the lower (generally) half of a wall. The styles in the middle would be milled on both edges to accept the panel from both sides. This is all designed to prevent the wainscot from warping.

Doing the same look in mdf, you are milling out the visible profile only. Mdf won't warp no matter what size the sheet is so you don't need all the joinery that would go with the solid wood or the cost. Your cost is the extra time spent milling it out on the 'bot.

I hope that helps. Almost every other issue of Fine woodworking will have an article about how to make frame and panel doors if you want to see a pic or two.

If I answered the wrong question, Aspire is the full feature version of V Carve made by the same folks.

D

Default wainscoting

easy to do , these were done in part wizard, and part works

3 bits whiteside bit#5610, 5710, and 1/8 radius end mill to make the corners look square.

let me know if i can help you on the offsets and depth of cuts for each bit
    mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by taylor View Post
    easy to do , these were done in part wizard, and part works

3 bits whiteside bit#5610, 5710, and 1/8 radius end mill to make the corners look square.

let me know if i can help you on the offsets and depth of cuts for each bit
    mark
    That is exactly what my wife wants. I showed her the pictures. I really don't even know where to start.

What thickness MDF?
    How do I tool path it?

John

call me 757 288-6256 i can walk you thru everything

3/4 mdf
    1/8 bit .15 depth
    the other two bits .375 deep

the offsets for
    1/8 bit to bit 5610 is .39 inches

the offset for
    bit 5610 to bit 5710 is .28 inches