Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustrated with erratic behavior

Gary
    We are not topping out on the z axis. Last night we were using a 2" bit and 3/4" mdf. The safe z-height in the cutter tab is set to 1.00".

We are not editing any of the fill-in sheet options when running the actual cut. We run with no offset and no proportions for any axis. I train users to set their x/y zero location with a C3 (zero x/y with prox switches) and then Z2 to their desired location if needed before they do anything else. Then I train them to zero Z (C2) to the material or table depending on the job.
    Regarding the spacebar, that's interesting. What do you consider "light on RAM"? Is clicking the "Stop" button with the mouse any less problematic? I will train future users to never restart a file but I imagine that will be a very unpopular solution especially when running long files.

garyc Guest

Greg..
    I am confused, your answer to 2 appears to conflict with the #2 in the original post.

I consider 2GB to be sufficient for 2D work and 4GB to enable large or 3D files to be run

No difference on the method. A pause is a pause, is a pause. Unpopular, maybe, but as unpopular as starting over with new materials? I also dont recommend being out of sight/earshot of the tool when active. There are many posts on here showing objects cut that took over 12 hrs to cut.

Gary,
    Sorry for the confusion.
    When we do the actual cut, we are not doing any offsets.
    When we do an aircut, we use the 3D offset in the fill-in sheet. The problem of topping out in Z after the repeated lifts only shows up when we do a 3D offset.

garyc Guest

Greg...
    I prefer to move the Z to .5 or 1" and zero the Z there for an aircut. To have proper control over the depth, I recommend this method. Especially if you are teaching others.

When you check the 3D offset in the fillin sheet, you will effectively set the ZZero to the current position. Apparently your current position, plus your max Z lift causes the Z to max out.

Quote Originally Posted by garyc View Post
    Greg...
    I prefer to move the Z to .5 or 1" and zero the Z there for an aircut. To have proper control over the depth, I recommend this method. Especially if you are teaching others.
    I concur. It is much easier to convey the idea of zeroing the Z up high than it is to mess with 3D offset - which is a lot more confusing for a new user to grasp. They have enough to learn without using 3D Offset...

I instruct users to ignore the FP fill in sheet until they understand what it does.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

On top of that, if you happen to run one 3D offset after another without moving back down, the 3D offsets will compound so eventually you will top out.
    Scott

garyc Guest

Greg...
    To expand on what Scott says.....

Inexperienced users may run a file with 3D offset more than once without lowering the Z. Each time the file is run using the 3D offset option the Z height will increase by the amount of the safe Z. Also, if X & Y axes are not returned to 0,0 prior to each file run an offset (temp) is applied to those axes also, even if inadvertent. Best to use Brady's advice. Ignore the fill in sheet until you are sure what each option does.