Thread: Frustrated with erratic behavior

Hybrid View

Default Frustrated with erratic behavior

We have been experiencing unexplained errors with our ShopBot since we got it. At first we thought we were making mistakes that caused our issues. As we get more comfortable using the software and machine, we are becoming more and more frustrated with what seems to be random and erratic behavior.

1. When resuming a toolpath after pausing, the spindle dives into the table and begins an unexplained move. This has happened when simply pausing and resuming AND after entering a "nudge" value although it does not always happen.
    2. When doing a 3D offset, the z raises to 4" (when started from 1") before starting the aircut. This happens every time we do a 3D offset.

Our shopbot PRS alpha has the lastest control software. I have talked with a few support engineers but no one has been able to provide an answer.

Issue #1 is an annoyance and causes problems when using thick material and/or a long bit as the z-axis will top out and error forcing a re-zeroing of Z.

We have snapped a number of bits as a result of issue #2 and tonight we dove right through our spoilboard leaving a gash that will require replacing the entire sheet.

Is anyone else experiencing things like this? Have you been able to find and fix the issue? I should be able to reliably pause and restart a file without risking my bit or my vacuum table.

Please help.

Frustrated,
    Greg

What do you have the safe z set at in your cam program.

Default safe z

cant help you with number 1 but my question is what is your safe z or home position set at.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What version of software are you running? Know you say latest, but want to check if it's the latest production version or the beta or ?

Issue 1, I have seen in previous versions but have not encountered it lately. I stop and resume often, but don't much use the nudge feature.

Issue 2, using the 3d offset feature of the FP command is not one I believe very many folks use. Most of us do this in our design software these days. It would help here if you could provide the first hundred lines or so of your program, and what you are entering into the FP fillin sheet for offsets and proportions.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Thanks for the responses.

Control Software Version: 3.6.44
    Partworks 3 Software Version: 3.504
    Home Position in Partworks 3: X:0 Y:0 Z:0.8
    Clearance in Partworks 3: 0.2
    Plunge in Partworks 3: 0.2

Partworks 3D Software Version: 1.002
    Rapid Clearance Gap: .25

I offer the settings from both partworks and partworks 3D because we have had issue #1 happen with files coming from both. Again, this is an intermittent problem but the bottom line is that I am never comfortable pausing a file anymore.

Ken, regarding issue #2, we instruct our users to do a 3D offset "aircut" before running their file to be sure they have done their tool paths correctly. The only thing we change in the fill in sheet is the option for the offset. I instruct users to move the tool to 0,0,1 before loading the part for the aircut (as long as the cuts they are doing are less than 1" deep).

As an experiment, you might try zeroing your Z above the material for your aircuts instead of using the 3d offset and see if it makes any difference.

For an aircut, I move my z an inch above my material, then do a ZZ, then run the toolpath as normal (no 3d offset).

This might tell us if there is a problem in the Offset portion of the control software.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha