Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purebond Plywood Questions

Default Purebond Plywood Questions

Has/Is anyone using Purebond (zero VOC) plywood by Columbia Forest Prod. to build kitchen cabinets? I'd really appreciate your input on the following:

1. Cost per sheet vs. pre-veneered cabinet grade ply vs. pre-veneered particleboard. We're looking at about 20' of cabinets - uppers and lowers - less a 5' window and a 30" hood. Doesn't need to be exact, just trying to get an idea if it would add closer to $500, $1,500 or $2,500 more to build them.

2. Does Purebond have better value zero VOC equivalents?

Can it be used in the door panels as well in place of solid wood panels to reduce paint cracking. These will be painted cupboards, shaker style with a small, routed bead or bevel on the stiles.

Thanks kindly,
    Gerry
    Last edited by gerryv; 11-02-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Added detail

No one build low/no VOC cabinets?

Gerald
    I use low VOC cabinet grade prefinished maple It's only maybe a buck or two higher than the regular stuff really like the prefinished cuts nice and helps alot time wise for big projects

I paid a $87.00 per sheet at the time of my last order for 8 sheets of columbia UV-2S B-1 Rotary Birch NAF VC plywood with Pure bond. (UV2S = Pre finished both sides) That included free, rural, delivery.

5 sheets yielded.
    13.8 feet of upper cabinets (6 boxes) with 3/4" backs.

1 36" inch sink base. ( I used columbia 1/4" C1, rot maple, prefinished 1 side for the back. This ran about $31.00 per sheet, and was also purebond)

I used less expensive shop birch I had on hand (also purebond) for the two drawer bases, and sprayed the interiors. This ran about $50 per sheet off the top of my head, but I did not buy much quantity.

The cost of plywood, was pretty much insignificant compared to the rest of the job.

The pricing that I get is based on increments of 5 sheets. It is always better to buy wholesale, as the markups found at lumber yards and hardwood retails can be pretty high. Free delivery is also a perk, and they usually sell a whole lot more than just sheet goods (think hardware, solid surface, laminates, edge banding, and anything else you could ever want)

Michael Schwartz -
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0A1...eature=related

I'll post my answer later but add between 1,500 to 2,000

I was going to use prefinished plywood but backed off dut to the fact its been around for a couple of years.I've talked to a few salemans on this issue that the laquer could fail maybe 5 years down the road .Still thats your reputation.We spray are interiors with water based polyurthane it adds a day and a half 2 men

We I had a small shop I use foam brushes never stained

The selling feature is you can say no chemincal a green product no gases being released in a closed cabinet

I used silver backed maple at 59 a sheet .Close to getting baltic birth a 45 a sheet

We do a lot of cabinets .I still offer melamine to stay comptive I would love to lose melamine

www.kdunphy.com

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    I've talked to a few salemans on this issue that the laquer could fail maybe 5 years down the road.

www.kdunphy.com
    I have never heard any mention of this.

It would be interesting to know if there has been an actual documented case where a finish failure has occurred with UV coated products where the cause of failure has been determined to be 1. caused by a deficiency or defect in the original product, and 2. a defect or deficiency that is widespread, and not due to an isolated incident, such as a bad batch

I would be hesitant to jump to conclusions as there are many different manufactures of UV coated panel products. Some are not made to the same quality standards as others. I would not be surprised to see this happen with certain substandard imports provided the veneer didn't fall off first. There are also many other factors that could be of consideration such as exposure to incompatible chemicals, improper storage, material handling, or damage that occurs post installation.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

The point is Mike they won't stand behind there product .I've seen lots of laquer failure .The beauty of coating it your self is you know what your putting on in my case water based polyuturne I know it won't fail

I was on the fence the Mcfaden saleman came around teasing me with 60 dollars a sheet [I was thing of all the labour i would save].Then raise the price to 80 dollars .I sat down with the guys we talked it through we also live in the community we install kitchens .

We all ageed that if you have uv coating failure its a diaster .They will blame you

I know people will say there using the best but it hasn't been on the market that long .I gave me case 2 saleman thats why there looking for cheaper price on plywood if I get plywood at 40 to 50 dollars a sheet there no differnce in price.
    Having a green product is a huge selling point

Plus with my system 5 or 8 years down the road you clear coat the bottom of the cabinets to keep it fresh

I get the Purebond 3/4" Birch plywood at Home Depot for $45 per sheet. Never used it to make a set of kitchen cabinets though, we always use melamine or pre-finished plywood.

My understanding of the pre-finished plywood is that it's not a sprayed on product like lacquer but a clear melamine layer (comes in sheet form like clear paper) that is permanently bonded to the surface. It's been out for well over a 'few years', we've been using it for close to 10 years if I'm not mistaken, including on my own kitchen cabinets.

I have seen failures of the core - delamination, **** in the core, etc. - mainly when we tried using cheap Chinese imported pre-finished plywood. I've made it a rule to never use Chinese plywood in my shop (that and pressure-treated wood are the only materials I say 'never' to). The domestic versions have run between $60 per sheet, up to almost $80 per sheet, and they are nice quality. The difference in price usually depends on the cut and species of face veneer (white maple is higher than natural maple or birch) and whether it's pre-finished on one or two sides. I have never seen a failure on the domestic pre-finished plywood, although I've seen many substandard jobs where shops have tried to hand finish the interiors of plain plywood on the cheap.
    David Buchsbaum
    Beacon Custom Woodwork, Inc.
    dba Atlanta Closet & Storage Solutions
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com

Dave one question do you have experince with baltic birtch ?I mean they use it as standard on yahts
    The saleman told me its sprayed 2 coats prefinised that if you scratch you can touch it up .But McFADEN IS BAD FOR BUYING ON THE CHEAP

Its a good subject did Gerry get his question answered