Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purebond Plywood Questions

I'm sure it's different in other locations, but I can't get any Baltic Birch ply locally...either 5x5 and 4x8 sheets...that is exterior. Doesn't matter for cabinets but I'd be awfully nervous about putting it in a boat.

Thanks for the comment Kevin. there is some good discussion here so let's leave it open and if someone has something on my question just add it to the mix.

I pay $64 per sheet for 3/4" 2 sided pre-finished. I have been using this product for ALL inside cabinetry for 6+ years with no finish failure. Its a UV cured finish that's tougher than anything you can spray in your shop. I use this product as much for my own health as the clients and will not use anything else even if its requested. Pure bond is a great choice hands down on many levels. The ply's are not full of void's which can otherwise telegraph through the veneer and the surface is not lumpy/wavy. I use it as a sales tool as well. I take a sample of other pre-finished maple ply with me on appointments and let them smell the difference. Its makes for an easy sale even though I'm higher in overall price.

I use it for door panels a lot as well.

Thanks everyone, the information is much appreciated.

I do have a bunch of experience with Baltic Birch plywood, most of our shop fixtures are made of it (going back to when it was pretty reasonably priced). You can't beat it for stiffness or lack of core voids. The original BB plywood was all exterior grade, it's original use was for flooring in shipping containers (driven over by loaded forklifts, exposed to rain and seawater, etc). Now many suppliers bring it in for the building and cabinetry trades and it's not exterior rated - but neither is regular birch plywood nor most (if not all) pre-finished plywood.
    David Buchsbaum
    Beacon Custom Woodwork, Inc.
    dba Atlanta Closet & Storage Solutions
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpitQcqcCfA

Here is how prfinished is made .In Canada it hasn't been around that long to my knowedge.I think prefinished is creeping up in price is the high cost of equiment
    For me as long as I can stay 30 dollars less spraying is as cheap as prefinished there no differnce in price .The other advantage of spraying {in my case}is we use soild wood edgeing 1/4 inch which is left over material
    Attached Images Attached Images

I forgot one other point I see in my area and in Montreal North America .No one really cares how the cabinets are made or what used for the interior[every one is focused on the outside} .I think its a huge selling point to sound look like you know what your talking about .A cabinet shop down the road is saying there using rock maple ahh .Which mean there using a laminet sheet on particle board but the name sounds industrial