Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dyslexic or just stupid?

Default Can someone post a PRS / E chain picture at 0,0 ?

As per Gary, and the present gantry set up, I would think the machine is at the corner opposite the 0,0 point.

As you stand at the front facing the router, with the machine at 0,0, the router should be on the side nearest to you. Right side is 0, Far Left is 48

If you want the 0,0 to be at the present end as in pic 4, I think you would have to flip the gantry 180.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

One thing that might not be immediately obvious when reading the instructions and looking at drawings is that the front of a shopbot is not where a lot of people think it is.

The front is the long side with the control box on it as you have yours setup.

The open ends are the left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianm View Post
    One thing that might not be immediately obvious when reading the instructions and looking at drawings is that the front of a shopbot is not where a lot of people think it is.
    If you actually read the assembly manual, the machine orientation is on page 2 or 3...A lot of time went into putting together the manual. There are a few places of 'gray area' that are not easily conveyed in written form with illustrations, but for the most part, it is very easy to understand and thorough.

The first thing you should think about when you set up one of these machines is, where are you going to put the computer & where do you want to work. In this case, I think the computer would be best suited back in the corner of this room, protected - rather than on an open corner. It all depends on how & where you prefer to work. Some people like it on an open corner...I prefer it in a 'nook' where it is away from forklifts, traffic and other hazards, because I've had to go out and repair tools that got clipped...Not saying that will be the case in this shop, but some thought should go into where you want to stand in your shop.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I've read the manual (several times) and I know where the front is but after helping many people with ShopBots and other CNC machines on many forums there are a lot of people who just don't seem to get that part despite the instructions being clear (IMO).

Just trying to point that out in my tactful English way.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianm View Post
    I've read the manual (several times) and I know where the front is but after helping many people with ShopBots and other CNC machines on many forums there are a lot of people who just don't seem to get that part despite the instructions being clear (IMO).

Just trying to point that out in my tactful English way.
    I hear you loud & clear m8

Not to sound like an old fart...but when I got into this, there was no spoon feeding. There were no color illustrations (!), sample files (except for C1 - cut the SB logo), videos, step by step tutorials etc. You got the machine, a thick binder with grainy b&w pics 240x320 (if that) and the software help file was vague and often unclear. The router didn't go on & off by itself, proxies, Zzero plates and table frames were cost added options, and about 3 people could cut a 3D relief on their Bot. These kids today have no clue how good they've got it! HA!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Just wanted to finish this thread. I have the E-Chain assembled and working thatnks to Gary's advice. Brady, you have a lot of smarts, but every post you made inferred that I had not read the manual. I read that manual until my head hurt, it made absolutley no sense. Gary's suggestion to hook the echain up and then feed the wires in was the ticket.

Thanks to all who participated in this discussion.

David,

I have found that the manual can be SORELY lacking. I was recently looking for the wiring information for wiring the ZZ Alligator clip into the multiprong connector that comes over onto the YZ assembly. I found that the ZZ is barely mentioned and NO information was given as to installation of the alligator clip... (In my manual- which I got with the machine. A 2008 PRS Alpha. Bought Used- so there is a POSSIBILITY that the previous owner lost a section or something...)... I have found a few things like this that are a BIT exasperating. Thank God the folks at ShopBot are both responsive and sharp. They have helped me a GREAT deal. And the people on this forum have helped me MANY times.

Don't get distracted. Ask the questions and find the answers... it is a worthwhile slog!

MGM
    Last edited by MogulTx; 11-10-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo's--- hope I got them all!

garyc Guest

MGM...
    Have you downloaded the updated version(s) of the manual? I am sure that it is better than it was in 2008. Take a peek:
    http://www.shopbotdocs.com/Copy-PRS-...ly-Manual.html

Like Brady, I travel the country servicing ShopBot machines. There are very few cases where the info to adjust, repair, hook up or install what the costomer is looking for is not in the manual. Most of the time in their OEM printed manual, but almost for sure in the updated version. Most have comments similar to yours. I often take the time to show them where the "unfound" info is located. If everyone took the time to read and understood all the documentation, Brady and I would be out looking for work.

I need some T shirts made. One side says:
    "The ShopBot Manual: Widely Distributed, Seldom Read"
    The other side says in large bold letters: "RTFM"

Quote Originally Posted by garyc View Post
    Have you downloaded the updated version(s) of the manual? I am sure that it is better than it was in 2008.
    I didn't even think about the 2008 vs 2012 documentation...I can see where there might be some confusion...Definitely check out the stuff on ShopBotDocs.com

Quote Originally Posted by garyc View Post
    If everyone took the time to read and understood all the documentation, Brady and I would be out looking for work.
    Yes. Picture the Maytag repair man...

Bill Hicks: "What Are You Reading for" ? Pretty much sums it all up.

-B