Thread: acrylic/alum. comp. hung sign

Default acrylic/alum. comp. hung sign

Hello everyone,

I've got a project that involves aluminum composite cut letters that are attached to an acrylic backing that needs to be hung. Right now our brainstorming has led us to cables that will attach to eye bolts that are set in epoxy on the edge of the acrylic. The letters are roughly 17" tall and will be in an interior space, the sign will only be up for one night and must be hung. I've attached a quick Sketchup model of the sign. Let me know what your thoughts are or if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Should work. I would stiffen with a 2x4 clamped on it until mounted and leveled to keep it from buckeling during the hanging process. Bob

An easier way would be to put rectangular 'tabs' on the top edge where you want to hang them in the acrylic and drill a hole in the center of the tabs. Then attach your cable or wire that way. You won't have to rely on adhesive...which is a bad idea unless you are doing a Crazy Glue commercial. Since they are on top, they would be invisible. If your acrylic is already cut, thru holes near the top would work too...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

or drill and tap it then the eye bolts will thread in and be strong and it is easy. drill a 3/16" hole chuck a gun 1/4-20 tap in a cordless drill and maybe a bit of lube and tap it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    An easier way would be to put rectangular 'tabs' on the top edge where you want to hang them in the acrylic and drill a hole in the center of the tabs. Then attach your cable or wire that way. You won't have to rely on adhesive...which is a bad idea unless you are doing a Crazy Glue commercial. Since they are on top, they would be invisible. If your acrylic is already cut, thru holes near the top would work too...

-B
    Thanks for the input guys. Brady, let me ask you this, the tab that you are talking about is this a part of the acrylic or is it separate piece that you attach to the back of the acrylic...is so would you glue or screw this separate tab?