Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have Single Phase spindle but 3 phase power

David: A 3-Phase panel consists of a series of legs in which every third one is a high leg that outputs 220 volts (or 208 or 230 or...) and the others output 110. You can easily put a single phase 220 breaker in two of the adjacent 110 legs and run your single phase VFD.
    Due to length of run from main panel in my shop I set up a 80 Amp sub panel by the shop bot. We also have some equipment that is 3 phase and some that is not. One can use a high leg and low leg in combination for a 220 single phase circuit but make sure you never use a high leg for a 110 circuit.
    If your panel isn't already marked for which are the high legs or anything Frank (above)or I seems to be confusing then take his advice and for the small service call get an electrician.
    The specs on your VFD say it is comfortable running anywhere from from 200V to 230 volt input. Therefore your 210 actual should be just fine.

Dave, first let me thank you for your reply. I did have an electrician there (supplied by the landlord) that I was leery of, in my unit he gave me a a 12 /3 wire red, black, white and ground at the panel he has the red on the A the black o the B the white is not connected, when metered the wires in my shop (red and black) were @ 210 volts. Does this setup sound correct to you, I'm going to wire it to the VFD and give it a go if you have a bad feeling about this please chime in.

David

When I setup my machine I had a similar situation as Dave R.We setup a subpanel for my 3-Phase HSD spindle and vacuum..We put separate breakers on 2 of the 110 legs also for other equipment.As I recall the voltage did vary some,this is to be expected.Most, if not all, machines allow for some variation in voltage,including your VFD,as Dave mentions above.You should be fine,wire it up and watch the dust fly!

Erminio

Well hooked her up today and ran it, seems to be okay, sounded a bit different (smoother) but it could be the new space. The spindle felt lukewarm after the warm up routine but I wouldn't know if this is any different than before because I never felt her up in the old shop, but the wires were cold hope that's a good thing. Just want to thank all of you for the help.

David