Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have Single Phase spindle but 3 phase power

Default Have Single Phase spindle but 3 phase power

Just moved to a new shop that has 3phase power,but own a single phase spindle what do I have to do to get it running.

David...
    Check with the Mfgr of your VFD. Some that convert single to 3 phase will also work on 3 phase. Only the Mfgr will know for sure.
    Gary

Gary I have a HSD spindle and a Yaskawa VFD which came with my PRS. I ordered the single phase unit because at the time I was using the Bot in a garage with normal house current. The spindle is rated @ 220v + or - 10%. I had an electrician at my new shop and he managed to get me 210v from the 3 phase panel by eliminating one of the 3 legs. I am not sure of using this because it may be out of phase.Is my concern justified. If there is anyone out there that can shed some light on this situation please chime in before I do something stupid.

David...
    Without knowing exactly what you have for power, or VFD I can give no good advice. I did look on the Yaskawa Site and there is a different model# for single and 3 phase power. Here is a link to the drive .PDF. http://www.clrwtr.com/Yaskawa-V7-VFD-Drives.pdf

Hopefully your electrician can get you the single phase 240V that you need.
    Gary

Hi I am frank and a license electrican. you are find. you get single phase from three by onlt using two of the legs. you don't need anything. your electrican wire it right.

also I forgot if you only have 220 volt and need if to be 240V you can buy a buck/boost trans for it. just call you local electric supply. tell then what voltage you got, what you want to go to and the amp or watts of the spindle and they should be able to help you. If they can't write be with the info and I will do the math for you.
    frank

Frank the spindle wants 220 volts +or- 10% the VFD is asking for 230 volts we tested the the 2 legs and it is 210 volts. Is this good enough or do I need a transformer, also how much does one of these transformers cost.

for what you want it may cost around $100.00. also check to see if you have super long wire run. If your over 100 feet your going to have a voltage drop. If this is the case just up the wire size. from #12 wire to #10 wire. go up one size for every 100' a good rule of thum. I don't think 10 + or - should hurt.

Short answer, usually 3 phase power has a leg pair set up to provide 110v/220v single phase as one of the wiring options. If its not clear to you where to get that power from the breaker box, hire an electrician and have them get you fixed up.

Most likely you will just have to wire to the appropriate terminals on the breaker box.

However.. if you have 208 volts, don't use it as if it is 220 single phase, as it WILL overheat 220 volt single phase motors and burn them out prematurely. Using three phase motors for things like dust collection will save you a bit of money for the power, and the motors are more efficient. Not to mention you are already wired for that option (im envious!)

D

Dana, 3 phase would be great if I had a 3 phase spindle but I have a single phase 2.2hp HSD spindle and the VFD that came with it (from Shopbot). I am in no mood to replace it and am looking for the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to get going.Like I said before right now I have two legs of a 3 phase circuit at my disposal, it has been metered to be 210 volts and am wondering if I can use this straight up or have to go through the hassle of getting a transformer.There are some specs @ this web page http://www.clrwtr.com/Yaskawa-V7-VFD-Drives.pdf but it makes no sense to me so if anyone out there can set me straight I'd owe them an enormous debt of gratitude.

THANX Dave