Thread: Need Alpha Tips

ras Guest

Default Need Alpha Tips

Just got my ALPHA motors and control Box today...pretty excited! Soon as I find the Control Box instructions I'll sit down somewhere.

Any ALPHA owner with tips...I welcome. Guys Thanks for all your posting...convinced me to be a shopbotter also...

Success

Spend some time learning how to tune your ramping and circle tolerance values for the sort of parts you run. This tuning is very critical to get the best cut quality and run times and can vary depending on parts shape and size.

Try to achieve smooth ramps and circles and keep track of the values, you'll use 'em!

Eric

ras Guest

Thanks Eric. As soon as the electrician gets done this Friday the real work begins in becoming one with the machine. I'll give it try and let you know what I learned.

Ras

Calm down Ras Ran Amon! You'll enjoy more! 8-)

Eric, had you to change your ramp value for much from default factory value? Mine seems smooth by I'm still wondering if I could JOG ramp in a less distance than now? I ask you that but I did'nt get to test my Alpha as much as I would like (very busy at home improvment)... Here my default value:

4358.jpg
    In fact what I suggest as default value are value that where already in when I open first software... not thoses suggest in yellow pop help in fill-in...
    Could you explain more about your observations as for getting better cut quality from ramp settings?...
    Thanks in advance for sharing!

Paco 8-)

Eric, do you had any lost position from alpha being stop (any how) and resume file action? I had and waiting update from support...

Paco

After playing with it we seem happiest, at least so far, with the following:

XY Move ramp speed .85
    Z Move ramp speed .7
    XY Jog ramp speed .9
    Z Jog ramo speed .9
    Move ramp distance .15
    Jog ramp distance .085
    Ramp threshold varies between 100 and 350 depending on parts type.
    Min dist to check .004

We also vary circle resolution in unit values depending on parts type anywhere from .01 to .08.

This is what's working for us. We cut nests of small to medium size complex shaped parts with tabs. We want smooth moves into and out of direction changes and tight radiuses while keeping production speeds as high as we can.

Never have had a problem with a stop and resume yet, that's new to me.