Thread: Imperial/Metric Issues

Default Imperial/Metric Issues

Hi, Is there anyone that has set up there PRS to use metric measurements only? I'm having some weird issues with trying to get the machine to only work in metric. The Z zeroing plate setup wants to use inches instead of millimetres and this seems to flow into other issues.

Does anyone have a foolproof idiot's guide to setting up the software to only use metric and what steps were involved.

I've already emailed and phoned Shopbot support and got them stumped so I thought there might be another Aussie who has come across the same issues with converting the software from inches.

Shane.

I use metric 99% of the time and I don't have any issues with it.

Type VD to bring up the fill-in sheet for the Display values and make sure you have the Linear units set to MM.

Then type TS to bring up the Shopbot Setup routine. Make sure you set that to MM as well and the proceed through it.

Not sure if both steps are required in that order but that's how I did my machine and I don't have any metric/imperial issues.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianm View Post
    I use metric 99% of the time and I don't have any issues with it.

Type VD to bring up the fill-in sheet for the Display values and make sure you have the Linear units set to MM.

Then type TS to bring up the Shopbot Setup routine. Make sure you set that to MM as well and the proceed through it.

Not sure if both steps are required in that order but that's how I did my machine and I don't have any metric/imperial issues.

Thanks for that. But already have done that several times and it still shows up with the error

Shane.

What is the actual error that you are getting?

Have you checked that the correct values have been written to the "my_variables.sbc" file in c:\sbparts?

garyc Guest

Shane...
    Make sure that the variable "&my_units = x" variable has been written in the my_variables file properly. x = "0" for inches, x = "1" for metric. That variable triggers the metric values for the zzero routine. Setup may not write this properly
    Last edited by garyc; 11-13-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks Adrian and Gary. That might be the issue. I just looked and this is what it shows..

'This is the measurement system that you normally use.
    ' it uses the same values as the ShopBot system variable...0 for inches, 1 for millimeters
    &my_units=0

It also asked about updating the file as setup changed etc.I said no as I wanted to check the values first. But I'll delete the file reinstall shopbot software and start again and hopefully that will change it.

Much appreciated as I was beginning to pull my hair out

Shane.

Shane - first never just delete installation files.

All you should need to do here is edit the file and change the "&my_units=0" to "&my_units=1"
    Ron Sloan

Quote Originally Posted by ssflyer View Post
    Shane - first never just delete installation files.

All you should need to do here is edit the file and change the "&my_units=0" to "&my_units=1"

I was going to do a full reinstall just to get rid of any other issues. I think someone should tell shopbot to edit out the comment on line 7 of the my_variables.sbc file,

Quote: "(This file can be cleanly regenerated by deleting it and reinstalling the Shopbot Software)"

But yes I understand installation files should never normally be deleted and they should be uninstalled correctly but as I was going to uninstall the shopbot software I didn't want any custom files being left in the folder that might reappear after the software was reinstalled.

Fingers crossed it all works when I try it out later.

Shane.

garyc Guest

Shane...
    Dont delete the ini or my_variables file IF you want to keep your current settings or values. If you have no need to keep them or want to start over, delete away.

The easy method is to rename (or delete) the Sbparts folder and reinstall the SB3 software you will have a clean installAND a backup copy of any needed values or settings.