Thread: All my shopbot issues so far....

Default All my shopbot issues so far....

Have been completely MY fault!

I see a some of you guys having issues with computers, mechanical issues, etc - and I am fairly lucky I guess I have been running nearly 10 months now without any issues that have not been my own fault.

Usually happens when I am trying to go too quickly, loading material or forgetting to set the zero, or starting the wrong program, etc.

I dont envy not being able to find the problem and resolve it. I am actually very relieved when something doesnt work right, and I can figure out what I did to cause it to go wrong!!

AJC

Andrew -
    Based on the fact that you and I recieved our new machines within a few weeks of each other, I've paid close attention to your posts. I've envied your rate of advancement plus what seems to be a flawless running machine, as I've experienced many dozens of hours of trouble shooting, note taking and tech support with mine. I have to admit - other than a string of ill-suited computers, most issues were corrected with adjustments to the "nut behind the wheel"
    In fact, I kicked myself when I read your post about going to a local custom builder for your computer. (Isn't that what we ask of our clients when they need woodwork?)

Glad to see this post - sinced I've conquered most issues, I now frequently find myself grinning ear to ear enjoying the astonishing capabilities of the machine, and felt I should write a similar post instead of only communicating when I have a problem.

Thanks to you and all other 'botters for being there for me with patient, direct advice and answers, as well as the inspiring posts sharing your advancements and achievements. I can't imagine working without it now. (the machine or my comrades!)

jeff

Jeff, for me sometimes its the "small" jobs that I can do in minutes now, that previously took me hours to set up jigs, etc. Just cutting perfect circles for lighting, or grommets, etc makes the machine (for me) worth it.

I don't look forward to the day I have issues that I cannot blame on myself. But, hopefully that won't be any time soon.

AJC

The amazing thing with you Andrew is you DONT sit in the workshop thinking about what to do. You get in there and do it. That curved top window you did blew me away considering you are so new to CNC. I pinched your dust hose idea by the way. Worked a treat like you said it did. My trouble is I think far toooo much before starting! Pinched your business card holder too!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

That reminds me of the time - eons ago - when my computer-challenged shop partner and I set up our first Shopbot. Things were not nearly as easy as they are now (imagine - no PartWorks, or Aspire, or even PartWizard - this forum only had a few hundred posts - it was like routing in the jungle!). Anyway, I would come in to the shop in the morning, Ted would have some sorry-looking piece of material that "the shopbot screwed up". In variably, as we would re-create the events of the morning, we would ascertain that the ShopBot had always done exactly what he had told it to do - every time!

Really glad to hear that you have been able to get up to speed and get comfortable using the SB for everyday tasks without any major glitches. We tend to hear about people's problems here and it would be easy for the casual reader to assume that everyone who gets a ShopBot has big problems - but most ShopBot owners never get on the forum, but just keep on using their machines.
    David Buchsbaum
    Beacon Custom Woodwork, Inc.
    dba Atlanta Closet & Storage Solutions
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com

I had followed ShopBot for a couple of years before my dream shop arrived into my life. I always admired a company that cared so much for its customers. Add to that the fact that the leading CNC software company is actively involved with this same company makes it even better.

I also have had NO issues with the machine that were not SELF inflected!

The speed that I can get jobs done is still an amazement to me. I am a model builder. So a friend comes over and he has a blueprint drawing for a railroad passenger car that he wanted a 2 1/2 inch scale model of. That works out to be about 9 feet long. What has this to do with this post, well 2 1/2 hours later we were ASSEMBLING the model! From drawing, to entry into Aspire, to tool pathing, to placing the plywood on the table, to cutting out the pieces, to starting the assembly in 2 1/2 hours, my goodness how can ya' top that!

All I can say is:

Ted you did good! Russ