Thread: Anybody slow out there?

Default Anybody slow out there?

We are very slow, hardly any work and about anybody i talk to around here are either very slow or don't have work, what shall we do here in Northeast Ohio?

I am feeling the pinch. We went from 40 rehabs per month to about 15. The investment group that funds our work seems to be feeling the crunch.
    There are 4 other garages in my lot. Mechanic,,,,no work. Lawn mower repair,,,,slow.
    Garage door installation,,,,no work.
    Boat cushion mfg.,,,,,, very slow.

I just installed an air drill and bought cabinets part pro and I am going to keep plugging.
    A cutom top shop went out of business locally. I have been getting a few of his calls.

As I understand it,,,his cnc machine cost so much he couldn't afford the payments any longer.
    I was told it could be had at a bargin,,,,,$60,000. I could get 3 bots if I had that money.

Well Raymond, its simple, just ask your local and federally elected officials to send some of those billions your way instead of to the bankers.
    Seriously though, its tougher than ever and the only way I know to approach it is to consider that IF the market and economy are down 20 to 40%, that means the rest 60-80% is still moving along even if a bit slower.
    On top of that the competitors are vaporizing so those who make it should have a bigger pie to choose from, In theory anyway.
    So hang in there, make sure you vote your heart, and remember, at least you can make something if you get an order. Better than than reading the paper for underpaying jobs with no other options.
    Good Luck out there.

Things seem about normal for us which surprises me a little since what we sell is highly discretionary. I was at the Maker Faire in Austin and talked with several other vendors there, they reported sales seemed slower this year... in fact I didn't hear from any of them that said it was the same or better. As for us, we missed our Maker Faire target, we only sold about 70% of what I'd hoped... but that ain't bad by no means and our online sales should increase for the next few weeks.

Scaling your business for what you know works and sticking to it is about the best advice I've ever been given. It's easy to borrow/lease equipment when times are good and get you into trouble when times are not so good. When you are able to ride through the rough times, as Jerry points out your slice of the pie will be bigger.

If you think businesses are feeling the pain... charities and non-profits are feeling it even worse.

Think about your vote and above all VOTE. Not much bothers me more than someone whining about Washington and you find out they are not even registered to vote.

/RB

I've lived in the Chicago area and our motto there was "vote early and vote often"....

Nothing has changed here in Chicago Jack except the folks in charge seem to have a larger than ever appetite for spending more than they take in. Hence the city's new distinction as the highest tax city in America!
    Suburbs are definately better but they seem to be taking lessons from "Hiz honor" and adopting the same spending practices."More, more more"
    Someday those words "fiscal responsibility" will hopefully be back in style.

I'm slower then motor oil but not as slow as molasses. To work through this I've dreamed up 3 new business plans (and got urls) to make Botables. Each business looks different from the others.. Hopefully one of them will appeal to one out of four and it will all keep afloat. My problem is that I was born to the wrong parents,

Incidentally, I am coining the phrase Botables.
    If you can make it on the Bot... it's a Botable

Default Aluminum Parts

I am a small start up company looking to produce a product that has somewhat large quantities of easily produced aluminum parts designed specifically to be produced by a CNC Router. I am trying desperately not to go overseas for these parts but pricing quotes are pushing me in that direction. I realize that someone producing these parts would probably be at the lower end from a quoting standpoint, I am just hoping to find that person and possibly create a win-win proposition. Let me know if you might be interested in looking at a couple of the parts.

Joel

joelk@kismet products.com