Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Dust Shoe System

Default New Dust Shoe System

Hey guys, I finally got around to building my dream dust shoe for the bot and wanted to share it with everyone and see what you think.

The shoe has 3 different size brush adapters, which are held/keyed on magnetically.
    So far it has performed great with everything from cutting MDF to 3d machining HD Foam.

I am wondering if I can permanently attach the "alligator clip" end of the z-zeroing setup to the base as it is machined out of .5" aluminum and conductive.
    This would save me from having to clip onto the bit each time, I could just simply C2 and slide the z-zero plate under the bit.
    Does this sound reasonable?
    Could this potentially cause issues with static or grounding?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like an excellent design. I'd be surprised if it didn't work well. What is the curved plastic part that is at the underside of the shoe just below the vacuum hose made of. The picture only shoe the side of that part.

Phil

DUST DUST DUST, just hate it. Looks like a really good system. How do you attach the unit to the spindle? Like the idea of multiple brush sizes.....
    great!

Quote Originally Posted by DanThomson View Post
    Hey guys, I finally got around to building my dream dust shoe for the bot and wanted to share it with everyone and see what you think.

The shoe has 3 different size brush adapters, which are held/keyed on magnetically.
    So far it has performed great with everything from cutting MDF to 3d machining HD Foam.

I am wondering if I can permanently attach the "alligator clip" end of the z-zeroing setup to the base as it is machined out of .5" aluminum and conductive.
    This would save me from having to clip onto the bit each time, I could just simply C2 and slide the z-zero plate under the bit.
    Does this sound reasonable?
    Could this potentially cause issues with static or grounding?
    Dan, I have never hooked my grounding clip to the bit on my machine. I connected the clip to a grounded wire that ties in to my whole machine grounding system. I just execute C2, put the plate under the bit and let her go. Has worked well since 2009 when I got my machine running.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Looks great where did you buy the bushes?
    Thank you,

Thanks guys for all the kind words,

Phil- The clear plastic part is vacuformed PETG, I modeled the part in 3D then machined a buck out of laminated MDF, then vacuformed it with some PETG, trimmed, drilled and mounted, it is filleted on all corners to prevent jamming/build up and I wanted it to be clear in order to see any problems.

The last thing I want to do is add a adhesive back foam gasket between where the brush bases meetup with the PETG, the suction lost is minimal but every little bit counts!

Gary- The main AL plate snugly fits around the body of the spindle is secured with (3) even spaced rubber cushioned non marring sets screws. At first I intended on building extra supports off of the spindle mount plate but so far it seems plenty rigid.

Don- Thanks for sharing your method, now I wish I would have done it sooner...all that time wasted clipping onto the bit!

Dan-I purchase my strip brush from McMaster, it is not super high quality but I was looking for an inexpensive solution that I can replace when the bristles get to bent and twisted.

the brushes are the weak point. I have tried all of mcmasters brushes. the horsehair seem the best but they only have them in a stiff back. the flexible ones are so expensive they are out of site.

Don, I've done that as well and it's worked perfectly for the last three years also. Good to hear that others have done it as I've always worried there's a reason why it's not a good idea.

Nice job. Looks very neat and compact.

Thanks for the reply Dan. How thick is the PETG that you used?

Phil