Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool Domino & Shopbot great combo...

Default Festool Domino & Shopbot great combo...

If you're on the fence about buying a festool domino machine, I'm here to tell you it is a great companion to the shopbot.

Several months ago, I drafted a 10mm domino vector, and have utilized it quite regularly for joinery. When applied to plywood, it saves tedius alignment issues. For joining plywood perpendicularly, you may simply use the domino machine to punch the holes in ends of pieces that but up to the pieces you cut flat on you shopbot. If you've got an accurate drawing, your alignment marks for the end holes can be easily retrieved. Just be sure to do a test cut on scrap to determine exact "height" setting of domino's fence for proper alignment and that you've dialed your alignment marks in on your domino machine for accurate placement over pencil marks for your plunge cuts. (the machines are not perfect from factory)

What's really got me jazzed is I just used them to align bentwood forms I cut from particle board on my PRSalpha. Had to stack 3 flat layers of curved forms - domino holes cut identically in all 3 peices = lift off machine, tap dominos in place = perfect alignment.

Spending less time building forms for bent lamination and more time focused on producing the final piece. In this instance, the festool machine was not even needed!

jeff

So what's the advantage to the Domino over a regular biscuit joiner?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Domino very big buscuit... more like mortise and tennon.... for u old school guys

The large Domino machine is great for entry/room doors. Large long loose tenons.
    Scott

I have to go with brady, never quite saw a difference from a regular biscuit joiner. and anytime I need a little more support then a biscuit can give a spline made from 1/4MDF and a slot cutter does the job
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

I agree Jeff. We've got the standard one but will also be getting the much larger XL that offers tenons up to 5.5" long X .55" thick and about an inch wide.

I'm planning on using these to build a timber frame style studio/workshop in the back yard and expect it will go much faster than with conventional mortise and tenon. We'll use the new mahogany tenons.

Most of what we do is with lumber rather than sheet goods so anything you post on the topic of sheet goods applications will certainly be of interest and an opportunity to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    Large long loose tenons.
    Got it. Makes sense.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

JFYI for the fellows that dont use them...

Dominos and Lamello biscuits are completely different animals. They are both very functional for various uses but I use both in my shop, and for very different applications.

A Lamello biscuit gives decent strength to most joints - but excel at lining up edges, edge to edge joints, mitres, etc. They allow some play in length which can be useful for lining up things. Where bisuits fail (for me anyhow) is in joints where a lot of strength is required, and where end grain is used - ie, in chair and stool making, joining boards in length, etc. Also, even for a #0 biscuit, a width of 2 1/4" is minimum to avoid the cut slot edges showing.

Dominos are indeed more like tenons. They range in size from very small (about 3/4" wide by 4mm thick) to quite large - big enough to hold table skirts to legs, bed frames, etc. The tenon is very tight (you can make one slot wider for a loose tenon) and provides a lot better strength in most respects. However the tenons are much more costly than the biscuits and they are slower to cut.

Each has its place in my shop - probably used equally. I use more biscuits for alignment and applying edging to plywood - and more Domino's for other uses like joints in furniture.

AJC

i was not aware domino's came in large sizes, thus I stand corrected
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

I find that the only downside to festools is not think about the cost of Festool. It's tough to do. It's best when you have a buddy, preferably the woodworker with the shop across the hall who has a whole tower, to borrow from and appreciate how nice they are. I am always amazed. The domino is awesome (not even in the same league as biscuit joiner), circular saw and track system is really really slick, heck even the sander is impressive. Then I just return the tools and make fun of my friend for the probably 3K+ he has spent, secretly wishing I had the work to justify the expense. If I win the lottery I'm buying everything festool makes.
    Mike Lyons
    !WOW-HUH?
    www.wow-huh.com