Thread: VFD Connection Question

Default VFD Connection Question

I'm just finishing up the assembly of my new 48x96 Standard. I'm attempting to connect the Yaskawa VFD to the 2.2 HP spindle. I've been over the documentation several times and did several forum searches with no relevant results relating to my problem. I've connected the 220VAC leads and the brown wire to the control box, but I'm left with a gray wire from the VFD that terminates into a RJ45 phone jack style connector that then is plugged into a Delta female USB port (the sample type of port you would find on a USB extension cord or built into your PC). Since I can't plug this into my PC, where does it go? I'm assuming it has something to do with the spindle speed.

That USB is for your spindle speed control. When you pull the black cap off of it, it's female? It should be male.

Can you post a pic?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default Spindle Speed USB

After pulling off the cap, I did see that it is a male connector. It's been a long day but I'm almost ready to power it up for the first time. I appreciate your quick response and all of your helpful posts to the forum.

No problem, Rick. Next snafu...make sure the key is in the control box (the one on the end of the spindle 'E' wrench) and turned to ON before you pull your hair out over not being able to turn the spindle on.

Also, you'll want to enable the spindle speed control from SB3 under tools. Make sure your VFD model is listed (dbl click on speed control window to change) and set 'Open with SB3' to 1.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks for the tips Brady. I was wondering why I wasn't getting a spindle speed in the display. I actually got the machine powered up about an hour ago for the first time. I was a little nervous about throwing the switch, but there was no sparks or smell of burning wires!

I've been running a CNC Shark, so the Shop Bot is a big step up for me. The next task is to set up the indexer.

Rick

Welcome as I to made the journey from shark to bot. While my shark payed the bills the bot feeds the soul. Happy dust making.