Thread: Internet on SB Control PC?

Default Internet on SB Control PC?

I am planning to try using the SB App for Ipod touch. This will require me to include my PC in my network.

Are there issues with allowing this PC to access the internet? I'm operating a network behind a web proxy so there is some added protection...I suppose I could put incorrect proxy settings in IE options to keep the computer from going online, but still have local network access?

I know that if it's online it should have virus protection - I usually use the free MS security essentials.

Thoughts, comments? How are you all doing it?

Gerald

Gerald,

You don't need to have it online or on your network. Just hook up a wireless router to it and make your own wireless 'ShopBot Remote' network that doesn't have internet access.

If you have to access a wireless network that is further away and where the iPod Touch has to take a round about route, you can end up with some lag in operation. Best to keep things close and closed.

I'm kind of swamped at the moment, but if you need some help, let me know.
    Scott

I'm leaning toward including the Bot computer in my network with internet access. Apparently Shopbot figures some will, since you can upload files for tech support right from the software.

Hopefully nothing evil comes of it...

Gerald

I've always had my shop computer on my wireless network, connected to the internet. I've had no problems with the setup, but I also made sure that I'm not running background tasks, like MS update, scheduled AV scans, etc. I just run those manually, periodically. I also use MS Security Essentials - seems to be the least intrusive and uses fewer resources...

Since I design in my office, it sure makes it easy to sync my files to the shop computer.
    Ron Sloan

Yes, I agree it's hard to beat ethernet for file syncing. I mapped a network drive on the remote computer so I can drop cutting files right onto it.

All 3 of our machines are networked. We actually pull the files of a network drive.

Networking your shop PC is fine as long as you maintain it & don't "fall asleep at the wheel" when you download updates etc. Java for instance will install the Ask Toolbar if you blow through the defaults...and what a piece of junk that thing is. If you are vigilant, and can minimize the background nonsense, you should be fine. It sure beats a sneaker network a la thumb drive.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Just got the Ipod touch set up with the Shopbot Remote app. That's amazing and practical, both. Scott, great idea there that I'm sure many are using in their shops.

Gerald